Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Caleffi Zone relay with zone shutting off

Hello,

I have the zone relay mentioned above to which Ecobee thermostats are connected. Sometimes when zone 2 has a call for heat (aux heat to radiant floors) it suddenly shuts off while the thermostat is still calling for heat. Does anybody have an idea why this would be happening.  It is usually in the morning when my morning setting raises the heat to all zones (3, each on its own thermostat) after the low temp setting during the night.

Thanks,

Serge

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,120
    Check the switches and pins inside the relay box to see if you have priority enabled. A close up pic would help
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Sergea29
    Sergea29 Member Posts: 30
    Thanks. Here are some piictures
  • hot_rod
    4 wires on t stat 2 connection?  Could be some issue there. Call tech support and they can walk you through the trouble shoot. You will need a VOM to answer questions 
    414 238 2360
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Sergea29
    Thank you.
    FYI I realized that I should have said zone 3 not 2 was having the problem.  The extra two wires are for Thermo-electric Actuators.  There are some (3) for zone 2 and (3) for zone 3 both on 2nd floor of my house fed by one circulator. Zone 1 is the ground floor with its own circulator.

For a kind of different topic,  while getting the info for this reply I realized that when the call for heat zone 2 and/ or 3 the boiler starts as well as the pump but since there is a delay due to the time the Thermo-electric Actuators open,  no circulation is happening and the water in the boiler got to about 190f before circulation in the system started and brought down the temp. Is this considered normal operating conditions? Or should I be concerned that my boiler maybe getting too hot?

Thanks again for all the great help and information.  Much appreciated. 

Serge 
  • hot_rod
    If you are running 24v zone actuators, you should have a zone control relay ZCR not a pump control ZSR. The actuators wire to the bottom zone valve connections, the zone control relay can then power the circulator. Download Caleffi Idronics 14 for examples of wiring options
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Sergea29
    Thanks for the comments. Finally discovered the problem, there was a bad relay, call for heat.  The wiring is odd because the radiant heat is aux heat, main is wired as the heatpump even though the radiant heat is used as main heating source. The tsats go to a Carrier zone control for the heatpump/airhandler which call to the ZSR.