Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco Circulator Pump Leaking

Options
Hi there, fairly new to this but otherwise handy. We have an old oil fired boiler and noticed that when we turned the heat on yesterday (first time of the year, the circulator pump started to leak. There are two pumps on the same line, top one is fine- bottom one leaks. We also depend on this for hot water, when the boiler clicks on for hot water but not heat, there is no leak. I have attached photos of the pump, wondering if its a common easy to fix leak or something requiring a whole new pump. It says "taco" on it but no model number that i can find. The motor attached is GE.

Comments

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Looks like the water seal is perforated. You could probably hunt around for another Taco bearing assembly, but I would replace the entire pump with a Taco "00" series or Grundfos. Proper sizing is important. You will need to know the pressure drop through the system and GPM required.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    @hockeyman001

That looks like a TACO 110.

You can replace the bearing assembly (easy job) or put a new TACO 00 pump (a little more difficult) in which is probably the best choice
  • hockeyman70s
    hockeyman70s Member Posts: 18
    Options
    @EBEBRATT-Ed Thank you! Im thinking replacement is probably the rout to go. Im not too sure on which 00 pump to get. Also seems like most of the pipes leading and leaving from have valves with the exception of this one entering the boiler right next to it. Think this will lead to draining the entire thing? thanks
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 706
    Options
    Hi
    they look like 110 pumps, and seal leak.
    you can replace the seal and you’ll be up and running, or replace it with a 0010.
    some installers use 007 which has slightly less GPM and pressure, however it usually works fine because most system pumps are oversized.
    the flange to flange dimensions are the same
    For more support you can contact Taco Tech support at 401-942-8000.
    they can provide part numbers and availability.
    also, the Taco ECM 0018e is a great candidate for your application. 
    If I can help further my number is 401-261-4890
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions