Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Viessmann 222-F yearly maintenance...

Skyline
Skyline Member Posts: 152
edited October 2021 in Gas Heating
My new boiler is a year old and due for its yearly maintenance. The only factory trained boiler company in my neck of the wood listed the parts, that are necessary for the maintenance as such, @ costX:
  1. Igniter
  2. Ionization sensor
  3. Flame sensor
  4. Door gasket
  5. Citric acid
While #4 and 5 seems reasonable, albeit they should be included in the cost of the maintenance, that 2/3 of the @ costX per hours.

For the parts from #1 to 3... To my recollection, the boiler did come with two years warranty; looked it up, here it is:

All parts and accessories provided with the Boiler by Viessmann are warranted for TWO (2) YEARS. Replacement or repaired parts provided under this Warranty are warranted for the applicable unexpired period of this Warranty.

Are these parts necessary for the maintenance, or just good to have them in case they fail in the middle of the winter?

TIA...

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Just go with what your heating man says and recommends. If you tell him what the deal is, he may lose excitement and fly away. Us trades guys are always dealing with people that 'know more than we do', so just gotta be mindful. Your questions teeter on the hypothetical, opinion based answers. I don't know if Viessmann covers high-wear parts like an igniter, but I've never seen on fail in two years either. I hope the shiny boiler lasts a good long time
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Skyline
    GW said:

Just go with what your heating man says and recommends. If you tell him what the deal is, he may lose excitement and fly away. Us trades guys are always dealing with people that 'know more than we do', so just gotta be mindful. Your questions teeter on the hypothetical, opinion based answers. I don't know if Viessmann covers high-wear parts like an igniter, but I've never seen on fail in two years either. I hope the shiny boiler lasts a good long time

Yes, Viessmann does cover the igniter, among other parts for two years, at least on paper. Based on the need for having spare parts around after a year, the chances for boiler "lasts a good long time" seems rather low. I wouldn't call a tradesman for maintenance, if I'd know more that he does, but that does not mean there should be no questions asked.

I don't know anything about the company that gave me the quote, that four times the NG savings posted in another thread, or close to 10% of the installation cost. For that kind of money, I should be able to ask questions. It's not like I am not polite with the guy and accusing him anything. Nor do I question the cost of the parts, it is what it is, just questioned the necessity of these part being stored next to the boiler This is my standard evaluation process, when the cost is more than a handful of "C" notes...

If "he may lose excitement and fly away", it's up to him. I am customer and not a shrink to baby him along the way to service my boiler. I cannot stand tradesmen who are operating on the "my way, no questions asked, or I am out of here" principal...

Canucker
  • GW
    Cool, just sharing my perspective. That comment was not literal (you know more than he does). Times are changing. I would be reluctant to service a boiler where we are not doing routine maintenance (especially if I know the homeowner is doing it). These are just my general opinions.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Skyline
    I apologize Gary, I didn't mean to snap at you.

I was just getting frustrated about what the maintenance of this boiler entails. If I had known as much as I know now after owning a modcon boiler for a year, no way I'd had this system installed. The traditional CI boiler would had been much less headache, not to mention the savings in both installation and maintenance...

PS: I am in the process of scheduling the work with the same guy; no, he did not fly away, he's cool...
    GW
  • GW
    All good 😌 it’s a funny world and we all have to say yes or no every 5 minutes it seems. Sometimes I wish I could take back my answer. But most of the time it’s full steam ahead ✔️
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • There is a heat exchanger recall on those boilers. Good to check if yours is one:

https://www.viessmann-us.com/en/services/vitodens-2xx-recall.html

https://www.viessmann-us.com/en/services/serial-number-locator/b2ta.html

I would add condensate neutralizer media to the list.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Skyline
    @Alan(CaliforniaRadiant)Forbes...

Thanks for the links, my boiler manufactured in the Spring of 2020 is not part of this recall. Maybe in three to four years it will be, but it's a OK for now...
    GW