Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Multi-Thermostat plan

Options
woobagooba
woobagooba Member Posts: 186
edited October 2021 in Thermostats and Controls
Folks. Trying to simplify the thermostat plan for a 2 floor build. Each floor has 2 zones of hydronics heat plus a heat pump primarily for cooling but heat capable. Single modcon boiler, heat pump per floor. Is there any way to simplify what is now a 6 thermostat plan? Basement will add a 7th for its hydronic heat. Cheers

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Depends on what you consider simple.
    Do you have 4 zones off of one boiler, or 2 boilers?
    A properly sized mod-con really only needs the thermostats as a high limit.
    So those 4 thermostats should be simple, non programmable thermostats, same for the basement.
    I would leave the minisplit with it's own t'stat.
    I have 2 high temp zones, 4 radiant zones-6 thermostats.
    2 AC units, 2 thermostats. I almost never change the temperatures, except when I go on vacation, or I'll turn the AC down when I'm having a party to get ahead of the rapid temp increase from occupants and constantly opening/closing patio doors in the summer.
    steve
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    To make it simpler you have to make it more complicated and probably learn how to configure it yourself. Both Honeywell and Tekmar make systems that can use a single t-stat per area and an outdoor temp probe and make decisions about if they should call for heat from the radiant or from the mini split or call for cooling. You could even control the boiler with 0-10v from the control system and run the radiant at a very low swt when the heat pump is more efficient but still keep the floors minimally warm.
  • Mike_Breault
    Mike_Breault Member Posts: 35
    Options
    Mike Breault from tekmar here, look at our 406. ( https://www.watts.com/products/hvac-hot-water-solutions/controls/heat-pump/406/406 ), and specifically applications (scroll down for the litt.) you can operate teh HP, and only use the boiler at Balance point or if the HP doesnt keep up. add a 486 gateway for mobile and web access.