Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham or Weil mclane lp boiler

Options
Degs
Degs Member, Email Confirmation Posts: 1
edited October 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
Hi I’m having to get a new lp boiler and really need advice on what’s best boiler. Currently we have a 140,000 btu Weil mclane but places around here want to supply burnham x205 140,000 btu.  Should I go with their unit or buy my own and have them install it? I have 2 zones on a 2600 sq ft house. Base board heat. Thank you for your help as it’s not cheap and really want to make best decision. 

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    It's said on this forum a lot, the important part is finding a competent contractor and having the work done properly. The brand they are comfortable with and keep parts for will be your best bet, usually.

That said, are they sizing based off the old boiler? I'd suggest it's way too big for your house, but a heat loss calculation needs to be done to be sure. Have any of them spoke of that? If not I'd keep looking.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Figure a net IBR of 112,000 is about 43 BTU's per square foot. That might be near double what you actually need, unless you're heating a pool or something as well.

I don't know of any contractor who would install homeowner supplied equipment, and warranty it.

How many quotes did you get, and they all recommend the same boiler?

Research the contractor as much as the equipment. 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    @Degs

As @KC_Jones mentioned if they replace your old boiler with something the same size it will probably be wrong.

You need a heat loss calculation.....and if your contractor doesn't do that....rethink your contractor choice