Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NY Plumbing license

VAS5390
VAS5390 Member Posts: 3
edited September 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
anyone on here know the easiest municipality to get a plumbing license in NY, or someone that can help me out in Rockland Co or Putnam county? i live in orange and most of my work for the last 10 years has been here or further north so we have no use for a license , but looking to get at least one so i can expand. any info is appreciated.

Comments

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    I really want to get my Westchester license but it's a pain in the neck. That doesn't help you but I feel your pain.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    VAS5390
  • VAS5390
    d you currently have any NY licenses
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    edited September 2021
    Unfortunately, NY never adopted a state-wide test and license. WA state has 2 plumbing licenses available, a residential and Journeyman (master). The residential is only good for residences under 3 stories. The Journeyman license allows work in any size building. Gas piping license is offered by the various cities. The testing is uniform and there is no politics. There is no practical exam required. If you don't take the study course, you may not pass very easily. Politics aren't involved. The license is also reciprocal in Montana, Oregon and Alaska.
    VAS5390
  • VAS5390
    yea most of the places i work dont require a license which is cool but i live in fear that one day they will adopt a statewide and only grandfather in existing licenses. and to take the test they want 7-9 years of W2 or social security statements to even consider you. which doesnt help self employed or off the books workers
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    edited September 2021
    Licenses are required to prove skillset and knowledge of code. Most require at least 5 years of previous work under the supervision of a licensed plumber. Statewide licensing eliminates any political climate in small towns (or cities) that are prejudicial in testing and/or granting licenses to new applicants that may be qualified.