Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe Deterioration using Copper Sulphate ?

Options
Athana
Athana Member Posts: 104
Im not sure if this is where I should be asking this but I know
you guys here are the most knowledgeable.
Our Cast Iron Sewer Pipe curves around the back of the house
then is a straight line to the street..200 feet long.
I think Tree Roots are getting in Pipe.
I'm worried about ruining the Cast iron using the wrong thing.
Is Copper Sulphate safe on the metal ?
On one hand I read safe on drain Pipe..then they say not to use
in Tub or Sink as may ruin pipes ??.
Thank you so much for advising me.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Your tub and sink drains would have brass/copper components that could be affected by the copper sulphate. It may remove the chrome plating on the parts you can see.
    Best to put it in a sewer clean out or floor drain followed by a fair amount of water.

This has been used in sewer lines for decades, I don't know of any effect on cast iron as it gets diluted and spread out.
    Athana
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    There is a different version that is a different type of herbicide that foams up and coats all of the pipe, not just the bottom. That may be more effective.
    Athana
  • Athana
    Athana Member Posts: 104
    Options
    The kind that Foam up are quite expensive as this line is 200 foot long and requires 8 lbs of the stuff
    $160 plus buying a funnel and they recommend it once a year. I maybe might as well have it snaked for that $ every two years. The Copper Sulphate my main concern is it deteriorating the Cast iron Pipe. : (
  • mattmia2
    Options
    Your best bet is to have someone run a cutter through there before they get too bad anyhow. If you just keep a channel clear to keep it from becoming a noticeable clog it could grow to the size that it breaks the pipe or is nearly impossible to cut out.
    Intplm.
  • mattmia2
    Options
    Are you sure it is cast iron? Usually the exterior underground part is clay. cast iron is not unheard of but it is unusual.
    Intplm.