Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need parts for old baseboard heat system

g_ppetto
g_ppetto Member Posts: 5
I am trying to locate some trim parts for an old baseboard hot water heat system, vintage 1955, and am not sure where to go. I would rather not replace the existing trim. The missing parts are two end caps and six splice pieces.

Any idea where I could go to obtain these parts? I have no idea who may have manufactured the system. Hopefully the photos will help.

Thank you!

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,632
    Hopefully someone here knows exactly what this is, but try looking at the various slant fin profiles.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,121
    It does look like an early SlantFin product. They also offer nice aluminum upgrade covers.

https://www.slantfin.com/revital-line-series/
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • g_ppetto
    mattmia2 said:

Hopefully someone here knows exactly what this is, but try looking at the various slant fin profiles.

hot_rod said:

It does look like an early SlantFin product. They also offer nice aluminum upgrade covers.

Thank you both for your replies! I'll try reaching out to Slant/Fin to see if they are their products. Knowing the manufacturer may help with the search.
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 997
    I printed your pics. I will compare to mine tomorrow.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,431
    I dont think you are going to have much luck. The closet I think you will come to that is Argo Low trim. Do the fins have a plastic strip running along the edges?

• mattmia2
    edited August 2021
    You could try ebay to see if anyone tearing some out put some of the trim up there.
  • g_ppetto
    hot_rod said:

I checked with Slant/Fin and their reply was this was not their product. Thanks for the idea. At least I know what it is 'not'.
    kcopp said:

I dont think you are going to have much luck. The closet I think you will come to that is Argo Low trim. Do the fins have a plastic strip running along the edges?

Thanks for the idea, I checked the profiles of the Argo products and this does not match. I don't recall seeing any plastic under the trim.
    mattmia2 said:

You could try ebay to see if anyone tearing some out put some of the trim up there.

Thanks. I'm trying every image search I can think of. Will try Ebay too.
  • woobagooba
    woobagooba Member Posts: 186
    Try craigslist
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,289
    Hi @g_ppetto , Have you considered using some sheet metal tools to make your own? A hand seamer and some snips just might do it. B)

Yours, Larry
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    edited August 2021
    Those end caps may be a bit more challenging but those joints would be easy to make.

If you could make a piece that butts up against the wall at the ends and screws to the cover that would be easier to make than trying to close the end.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    I wonder if a handy woodworker could build caps and joint covers.
    Hardwood finished to match your floor would make a pretty cool accent/statement.
    One would need to leave room for a little expansion of the BB.

It might be the look of bumper guards on a car.
  • g_ppetto
    Thank you all for your comments and suggestions!! They are really helpful.

Hi @g_ppetto , Have you considered using some sheet metal tools to make your own? A hand seamer and some snips just might do it. B)

Yours, Larry

mattmia2 said:

Those end caps may be a bit more challenging but those joints would be easy to make.

If you could make a piece that butts up against the wall at the ends and screws to the cover that would be easier to make than trying to close the end.

I'm heading out today to pick up a couple of hand seamers and plan to see what I can do with some flashing that was replaced on the house. A few bends, some emery cloth and just maybe I can make some replacement parts. The baseboards are all going to get painted so I just have to be good enough to blend in...

@JUGHNE - wood would be nice, but I do not know anyone that works with wood. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • g_ppetto
    Wanted to follow up. I was able to fabricate some parts and pop them in place tonight. It's all getting painted so hopefully they will blend in. Thanks again to everyone that commented and offered suggestions. BTW, I did measure everything and worked up my own estimate to cover everything with Neatheat covers. They were the closest for the size. Neatheat components would have been about $1300. They did look good though... This was about $50 at Harbor Freight for some shears and two hand seamers, a piece of scrap, and some of my time. I'm happy with it.

Thanks again! Photo below...

mattmia2
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,289
    Looking good!! :p And now you've got more tools!

Yours, Larry