Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The "Bleepin' Nails"

Options
FredDrone
FredDrone Member Posts: 3
To the forum: when installing pex tubing under subfloor, having to cut down the nail shanks protruding thru in order to install my transfer plates,won't the remaining nail create a "hot spot" under the transfer plates 
Rich_49

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,835
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Don't overthink this.

The nails will act as a conductor of heat that is already designed to be safe for the wood floor.

This assumes that you have a properly designed radiant system.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    kcopp
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Nails plate yes it sucks , grinding all them heads
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    Lyle {pheloa} Carter
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 556
    Options
    Something to think about but then again, not.

Water temp for a radiant system with plates may be in the 120F range but the floor temp will be in the 70's range. Feeling a hot spot the size of a nail will be indeterminate. If you are doing a Finite Element Analysis of the subfloor assembly, it will reveal the local hotspot.

Enjoy!
    Dave H
    RonnieJ
  • hcpatel78
    hcpatel78 Member Posts: 151
    Options
    Few things I believe...
    1--- removing/cutting nails will help you to find nice flat surface to install plates. Nice flat surge removes the air pocket between plate and floor surface. The conduction will occured more efficiently.
    2--- cutting nails won't bother you during tube install puncture.
    3--- cutting nails will also give ease of install in insulation.
    4--- I believe do it once--- do it perfect
    5-- About FEA comments....once floor is evenly heated it will be warmer near plate then other area without plates.
    If you install insulation the way it should be that problem will be almost gone. No one can feel hot spot/cold spot during 90% of the season.
    Thank you,
    Hiren

Thank you,
    Hiren Patel