Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Claco Water Boiler / Back Boiler

Options
KirstyB
KirstyB Member Posts: 1
Hi

Not sure if this is the right place to post but...
My parents have recently moved house and upon doing maintenance they discovered the attached still in the chimney breast.
I was hoping someone could shed any light on the item?

Thank You

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,837
    Options
    That was a heat exchanger placed in a masonry chimney. Real old stuff. there must have been a coal fired (or wood) furnace that used that chimney to heat the home. Some of the heat from the furnace would exit up the chimney with the exhaust and you could divert that heat to the water jacket in the Claco and have "indoor plumbing with hot water." Such a wonderment!
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,837
    edited July 2021
    Options
    if you google Claco Boiler you will find the device you have was probably made by the Charles LAthe COmpany (CLACO) of Tipton, which I believe is in the UK

So that lead to the next question... Where was the chimney located (country) that you recovered the Claco device from?

I added (country) in case you are a "smarty pants" like me... Because I would answer that query with something like "it was on the north side of the home"

LOL
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics