Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas meter

Options
I noticed my gas meter moving it moves about 1 cubic foot per hour , I was worried because I can visually see it move but I read the piolt for a hot water heater can use that use gas is that true ?

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,291
    Options
    Hi, I'd heard that a modern water heater pilot uses about 400 btu/hour, so if your pilot is a bit bigger it could easily be using closer to 1000 btu/hour, or one cubic foot of gas.

Yours, Larry
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options

Hi, I'd heard that a modern water heater pilot uses about 400 btu/hour, so if your pilot is a bit bigger it could easily be using closer to 1000 btu/hour, or one cubic foot of gas.

Yours, Larry

What about those new water heater controls with the blinky lights that I think use a thermopile to power the electronics instead of just a thermocouple for the safety valve?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Joe, I think you mentioned in your previous post that you also had a boiler with a standing pilot. Those two may use up that 1 cubic foot.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,291
    Options
    Hi @mattmia2 , Pilot flame size looks the same to me, but I have no resources other than my eyes to point to... I did just find this from Honeywell: https://customer.honeywell.com/resources/techlit/TechLitDocuments/69-0000s/69-1863.pdf . Interestingly the pilot BTUs range from 340 to 1075. Guess your mileage WILL vary! :o

Yours, Larry
  • Lance
    Lance Member Posts: 270
    Options
    While a pilot is one source of use, leaks are also. I once greeted a client who had 4 gas leaks in the basement. He was totally unaware of the odor I smelled at the front door. In some places a standing pilot provides other benefits. It provides ventilation for basements, keeping a flue drafting. Can reduce condensation in some conditions. Oh and lets not forget it helps the utility make money. :wink: