Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

where to install a magnetic filter ?

stuman
stuman Member, Email Confirmation Posts: 21
edited July 2021 in Radiant Heating
This site is a great source of information and looks like very helpful place and lots of great help. Just to let everyone know, this is my first post.
I have a Viessmann 100w combi-boiler, that is piped into a low loss header.I have a Naviclean magnetic filter.Where would I need to install it, to get maximum use out of it ?

Comments

• EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    On the return of the boiler 
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • stuman
    should it be on the primary side between the boiler and the low loss header or before the header on the secondary side on the return line going into the header
  • EzzyT
    The primary side would be the best location. You want to protect the boiler hx as much as possible.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    201-887-8856
  • stuman
    thanks EzzyT for your help,
    One other question....how do I protect the secondary and zone pumps from getting all gummed up from the same filings that the magnetic filter is not passing through the filter?
  • EzzyT
    The secondary water will get filtered through the magnetic filter on the primary side as the water in the system starts to heat up mixes inside of the low loss header.
    You can always inject or pump in system cleaner like Adey MC3 or Fernox F3 & F5 power flush the system to remove any debris. Then refill with demineralized water and ad system inhibitors like Adey MC1 or Fernox F1.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    201-887-8856
  • stuman
    Now another question, Can I get someone to come in and commission the boiler after I have both the install the magnetic filer and have the header isolated from the secondary circuit ?
  • EzzyT
    Of course. Where are you located?
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    201-887-8856
  • stuman
    I'm located in BC in Canada, should I wait and have boiler commissioned before I fire the unit up and run the DHW side ? And what is all that is involve in this commissioning test or setup .