Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flow check valve

Raymo
Raymo Member Posts: 7
We're in new York, and about to replace my 50 years old water heat boiler with 2 zones use circulators. Last time I check only one flow check valve was installed on zone 1 only which is same level as boiler location. I read some brand boiler manual piping.some have 2 flow check valves on same zone. And other manufactory only required 1 Valve for each zone. What's you guys think? I appreciate if someone can suggest me some answers🙏

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Unless you have some unusual head head issue which is rare 1 flow check on each zone is fine
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Flow check valves should be installed on each zone. It will help prevent phantom flow in any zone. Additionally, I put check valves at the end of each return before the main return to the boiler. Phantom flow is the condition where water can go up the return that is not in use causing some heat in the heating elements that are off line.

Jake
  • Raymo
    Thanks for clear up my question, I was thinking to install a check valve at end of return line . I only have 2 zones , can I get away with just install one check valve at one of zones? And would you recommen swing check valve or spring loaded one?
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Swing check valves are just fine. Install a check valve on each return. The phantom water comes from the zone that is on line not the boiler.

Jake
  • Raymo
    Thank you for help
  • Ctoilman
    Ctoilman Member Posts: 105
    Each zone needs its own check valve, nowadays the check valve is built in to the circulator pump.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    Ghost flows happen by misplacing tees....
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all