Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Seeking advice for Raupanel install

Eschen
Eschen Member Posts: 11
Hello,
We are installing Raupanel over OSB subfloor. The subfloor itself has seen some been in place many years (new construction but much delayed project) and one winter was left exposed to snow and rain. We have sanded seams that were bulging but still need to assess for possible areas out of level. 
Our tiler suggests a mud bed rather than cement board. The cement board install seems more laborious/risky with having to transfer pipe layout and avoid puncturing pez tubing. The tiler seemed unsure about a cleavage membrane, but I have read that is necessary. I would prefer not to have the heat insulation of Ditra, but is that the only option? I would be so appreciative of advice from those with experience laying tile over Raupanel. This is such an excellent resource for knowledge about radiant. 

Comments

• psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    Ditra is an excellent method for tiling. You should definitely have a 'bond break' between the tile and mfg. subfloor. The Ditra would not be that much of an insulative barrier as it ultimately gets filled with Thinset mortar kand becomes part of the masonry thermal mass with the tile. You could also do a more traditional mud bed for the tile on top of a moisture barrier on the Raupanels. It all depends on how much thermal mass you want for the radiant floor.
    Eschen
  • Eschen
    Thanks so much. Now my question is in regard to thinset in direct contact with the aluminum panels. Rehau’s installation guide (and representative) both say you can apply thinset to the panels and tubes. But after reading a comment on this forum suggesting that aluminum reacts with cement products, I did a quick google search to confirm this. Cement corrodes aluminum. What am I missing? I’m wondering how they can recommend thinset application directly on Raupanel?
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    Good question. Pursue for the answer! Then post on this site! Some other mastic maybe? The "fuzzy" backing on Ditra is designed specifically for Thinset. I think Warmboard aluminum has a green coating on it--maybe for bonding with Thinset.
  • Eschen
    My tiler suggests using Redguard cleavage membrane instead of Ditra due to the cost. Anyone have thoughts on this- Ditra is recommended often. Is Redguard also a good functional product in this application?