Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

35" Long PTAC Unit

I have a 35 1/2" long through the wall PTAC unit that needs to be replaced. This thing is very old and it seems all PTAC units are the standard 42" these days. I have the options of opening up the brick and concrete wall for a 42" replacement or running new electric for a mini split system and sealing the wall penetration. The unit is 3 stories up with a hill below and the electrical room is on the other side of the building with cinder block walls and plaster ceilings in between. Running new electric is not simple and access to the exterior for the brick work will be difficult as well without a level ground for a lift. Before deciding which route to take, I figured I would ask if anyone knows of an option for this smaller size unit. Specs are below.

277 Volt/1 Phase
35 1/2" long x 21" tall (under a window, no room for anything taller, a brick and concrete wall limits the length)
9K Cooling Capacity 
2.4 KW Electric Heat

Thanks for any suggestions! 

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    I would prefer a mini split but in your case I don't think they make 277 volt mini splits. So that leaves you with a wiring job.

The first thing I would do is find the 48/277 volt panel that feeds the PTAC. In many cases where the 480/277 volt panel exists there is a 208 volt panel near by and your existing wires could be rerouted to that panel.

What brand PTAC are you replacing? There are many brands of these and most fit standard wall sleeves. Carrier, Trane + amy other brands. Someone should have a replacement
  • Lyle {pheloa} Carter
    Lyle {pheloa} Carter Member Posts: 52
    Check with islandaire at islandaire.com they make a lot of brand new units to replace obsolete PTAC units. Different voltages included.
  • Sethvel1
    Sethvel1 Member Posts: 3
    Islandaire.com does have a lot of different sizes, I am going to contact them to see if they have one that matches my specs. Thank you for the help Lyle!