Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Laars mascot on sale

CBRob
CBRob Member Posts: 273
I saw that supply house has the laars mascot 133 combi for really cheap.
Like 1250.00 
I've been thinking about adding a combi to my house, is this deal a good deal? Or am I asking for repair headaches.
It's about 1000.00 off normal price

Comments

• GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,907
    Those units are, for lack of a better term, pieces of crap IMO. The heat-only Mascot is a quality, budget friendly boiler and I've got dozens of them in service doing a great job but the combi version shares several components with the old HTP EFTC and Noritz NRCB units and are notorious for eating 3 way valves and control boards like candy. Personally, I'd never want a combi of any sort in my house for several reasons, but if I had to choose one it'd be literally anything besides the Laars/HTP/Noritz junk.
    SuperTechkcopp
  • CBRob
    Thanks for the info.
    I've got a little cabin that's been running e 50 gallon electric and heating with an old gas fireplace

I can make almost anything work.
    Too bad the combi has a crap control board. 
    I could just use the CH part of it.
    The price tag def got my attention.
  • Do you really want to go to your wonderful cabin on your days off and work to try to get your boiler running? That 50 gallon electric water heater is looking better and better.

I love Crested Butte!
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    GroundUp
  • CBRob
    GroundUp said:
    Those units are, for lack of a better term, pieces of crap IMO. The heat-only Mascot is a quality, budget friendly boiler and I've got dozens of them in service doing a great job but the combi version shares several components with the old HTP EFTC and Noritz NRCB units and are notorious for eating 3 way valves and control boards like candy. Personally, I'd never want a combi of any sort in my house for several reasons, but if I had to choose one it'd be literally anything besides the Laars/HTP/Noritz junk.
    That's a bummer about a combi boiler on general being undesirable. 
    It seems like a great way to kill 2 birds.
    I'm a perfect candidate for on demand hot water. Only one shower.

Is there a combi brand that stands out better than most?

I'll need to address heat and dhw both soon.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,431
    In my opinion this is the simplest unit and the most reliable... but that's me. I have 80 out there.

https://www.ibcboiler.com/consumer/products/sfc/
  • Ditto on IBC. They are our go-to boilers.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,907
    edited July 2021
    The only combi I will use is a Lochinvar Noble, but have heard good things about the IBC and Viessmann units as well. Now that IBC is owned by Rheem, I'm a bit apprehensive to try a new unit
    CBRob
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 833
    Viessmann 222F combi with internal tank.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,431
    GroundUp said:

The only combi I will use is a Lochinvar Noble, but have heard good things about the IBC and Viessmann units as well. Now that IBC is owned by Rheem, I'm a bit apprehensive to try a new unit

Its been well over a year since that acquisition.
    Been no changes....just more support.
    CBRob