Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rinnai R53 leaking water

I have had this unit since new (new house) in 2008, it went about 5 years before I learned about having to de-scale it,  and I had done that regularly except I missed last year.  This year,  it starts beeping at me with the lc error. So I take a look at it and notice it's leaking water out the bottom.  (It is in a closet in the basement and was over some extra insulation I had,  so wasn't making a puddle). I pull the cover off,  and this is what it looks like.  I'm cleaning it now,  but is this a "going to need a while new unit" issue,  or was it leaking because of the scale buildup? While running my pump with white vinegar for descaling, no leaking is happening. We have pretty bad water,  all the faucets get clogged and we clean them every few months,  we have a whole house water filter that's changed every 3 months. Any suggestions on what I need to do here is appreciated. 
Thanks, 
Rob

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hello @realred2 , It sounds like you have water that doesn't do well with a tankless heater. In about 85% of the US, water isn't fit for tankless heaters, unless it's treated. You might be able to fix your heater, though a lot would have to be looked at. I'd be tempted instead to go with a tank-type heater, because they can handle the difficult water better. If you want efficiency, go with a heat pump or a condensing unit. Sorry to be the bearer of not-so-good news. :#

Yours, Larry
  • realred2
    realred2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply,  it was fine for 12 years,  then did this in the course of about 16 months. I'm also out of space,  and hopefully moving soon,  so it will be replaced with a tankless, if I have to get a new one.  We did add a electric water softener in the last year,  could that be causing the issues seen now?