Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Furnishings / equipment work van

OliverB
OliverB Member Posts: 10
Hey everyone,

I have a question regarding my van. This I use both for work and for vacation.
Do you have any tips or experience with which shelves or facilities I can keep my van clean and structured? :smile:

Comments

• Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,524
    OliverBAlan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    Wow, So I'm not the only one. In 1989 I purchased a Chevy Astro with a seating capacity for 8 Adults. The rear seats were removable with a quick-connect latch of sorts. I purchased a set of the quick connect latches from the parts department and built a custom set of shelves the width of the back door and affixed them to the quick connect latches. My work van had a seating capacity of 5. The middle seat was there most of the time and the rear seat was replaced by the shelving unit. On occasion, I might need to pick up a furnace from a supplier and I could remove the middle seat to have room for the furnace. Sometimes I would remove the rear shelving unit and put the rear seat into travel with the family.

I used it for about 6 years that way, Then sold the van with the seats and repurposed the custom shelving unit for the shop. It was a custom build of my own. My suggestion is to sit down with a pencil and paper and draw out what you need for vacation and where those removable components can fit. Draw out what you need for work and where those removable components can fit. Does your van have rear seating? Maybe you can have a design that has secure clamps to swap out the needed components.

Mr.Ed
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    Larry WeingartenPC7060
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    It is tough working that way , I started out of an open pickup . Every night I had to empty it . Back then I had wooden milk crates .. I had to make enough money to buy my first used work van ..
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • OliverB
    OliverB Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2021
    Thank you for your contributions! I was really glad that so many have answered my question.
    I did a little more research and was faced with the typical make or buy decision.
    My wife and I then finally decided on a professional variant. Especially from the aspect that the issue of safety was very important to us.
    A good impression was made for example by the van racks from Sortimo
    Have you had any other experiences?
    @Big Ed_4 We also decided to use the van as a pure work vehicle. Exactly for the reason that it is a huge time saver. :)
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    this aircraft mounting track is handy on the walls and in the floor. Many Sprinter vans have two rows in the floor.
    All sorts of attachments fit into it to secure work or play stuff.

Think of it as a unistrut for cargo control.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • eauciel
    eauciel Member Posts: 5
    I wanted the same van for work, play and transporting passengers. 
    Chose a Dodge Caravan 
    Can remove middle seat and fold rear seats into floor. 
    Takes 4x8 plywood sheets inside. Not most other small vans. 
    10 feet lumber inside
    longer lumber on roof rack
    For work I slide in a plywood sheet with two bolted bases for Milwaukee Packout System 
    Use Milwaukee Packout at one side door and one side of rear hatch
    Use stacking  plastic bins, dust proof and waterproof, with latches (Sterilite) on opposite side door and beside Milwaukee system at rear hatch. 
    Each bin is labeled according to contents. 
    Would consider upgrading  the spring set. 
    Would recommend installing a safety wall behind driver’s seat with an opening at floor level for 10’ lumber. 
    The van keeps contents more clean, dry and secure than a pickup truck. Easier access via side doors. 
    Easy to unpack and install seats. 
    PC7060
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    edited June 2021
    eauciel said:
    I wanted the same van for work, play and transporting passengers. 
    Chose a Dodge Caravan 
    Can remove middle seat and fold rear seats into floor. 
    Takes 4x8 plywood sheets inside. Not most other small vans. 
    10 feet lumber inside
    longer lumber on roof rack
    For work I slide in a plywood sheet with two bolted bases for Milwaukee Packout System 
    Use Milwaukee Packout at one side door and one side of rear hatch
    Use stacking  plastic bins, dust proof and waterproof, with latches (Sterilite) on opposite side door and beside Milwaukee system at rear hatch. 
    Each bin is labeled according to contents. 
    Would consider upgrading  the spring set. 
    Would recommend installing a safety wall behind driver’s seat with an opening at floor level for 10’ lumber. 
    The van keeps contents more clean, dry and secure than a pickup truck. Easier access via side doors. 
    Easy to unpack and install seats. 
    My father, who passed away a couple years ago, was a big fan of the caravans.  I was always amazed how well he could configure the space for both work and fun.  He work for General Telephone and Electric in Nebraska for 40 years and on the line crew for the first 15.  He always said you don’t know cold until you’ve been up a pole reworking a bad cable in -20F weather. Great guy and we all miss him. 
    JUGHNELarry WeingartenEdTheHeaterMan