Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Balancing valves on manifolds

Options
WillC
WillC Member Posts: 23
Hello,

By how much can you change the temperature in a loop using these?

Thanks

Comments

• GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,907
    Options
    If you have one loop wide open and another loop closed, a lot. An average system my experience is that you can generally squeeze about 2-3 degrees out of them while still working linearly if properly installed. For example, if someone likes to keep their house at 70 but wants the bathroom a bit warmer and the bedroom a bit cooler, the bathroom might be able to maintain 71 while the bedroom is 68-69. Anything beyond that, you're looking at another zone unless you want to screw with the balancing every time the outdoor temp changes. If you close the bedroom loop down far enough to be 62 when it's 40 outside, it'll get progressively cooler in there as the outdoor temp drops while the rest of the house maintains 70
  • jad3675
    jad3675 Member Posts: 127
    Options
    What GroundUp said - I tried managing the upstairs temp of a cape cod by using the valves on the manifold...and it's an exercise in both futility and going up and down the basement steps. The upstairs would be as much as 10 degrees warmer than the downstairs, mainly due to heat absorption from the roof. I'm in the process of zoning my system now to deal with the downstairs/upstairs imbalance.

John
  • tocker
    tocker Member Posts: 30
    Options
    John, I'm installing new and working through the zoning issue, upstairs/downstairs etc. I would be curious to know how you are leaning?
  • OliverB
    OliverB Member Posts: 10
    Options
    I would be interested in any case also and read your contribution
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    Flow and the temperature of heated water go hand in hand. Most often the zones in a hydronic sys are of unequal lengths as measured and computationally(fittings,etc.).

Water will flow thru the least restrictive piping circuit at a greater rate than the others. There are time when this is destructive to the piping sys. Flow rates must be within the pipe's flow capacities. To high a flow rate will erode the pipes.

There are many variables that affect the heat transfer into a living space, temperature differential, supply water temperature, flow, etc. If you shut off the supply to that zone, the temperature in that room will eventually reach equilibrium with the environment. So flow has a lot to do with heat energy transfer into the living space. There are too many variables to tell you what the degree difference will be with balancing valves, except to say the less the flow, every thing being equal, there will be less heat energy transfer in to that living space.

One uses balancing valve to balance multiple circuit in a heating sys to the desired flow. Some under performing circuit may benefit from a higher flow rate and the reverse is true, also.

I am a big believer in balancing valves, they give you a visual indication of flow, which gives you a more consistent heat energy output thru out the building.
  • tocker
    tocker Member Posts: 30
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I am leaning toward one zone in a basement and two zones on the upper floor. Each of those zones will have its own pump/manifold. I'm planning on one zone being all TRVs. Is there any value in having balancing valves on the manifold if I am using TRVs?