Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baxi Return Line corrosion

Options
Mark_Russell
Mark_Russell Member Posts: 5
Grateful for any thoughts on possible causes of the corrosion on this 3 year old Baxi boiler. This is the return line just before it enters into the fired part of the boiler. It’s an open system; the pump is just upstream and the F/E tank line is just downstream (of the boiler) We installed to replace the original gas boiler that was 15-20 years old and had no signs of corrosion (at least externally). The heating system was zoned at the same time we had the boiler replaced and we have a serious high point in the downstairs loop. Any thoughts are appreciated 

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    Open systems and ferrous components don't play well together.
    Derheatmeisterkcopp
  • Mark_Russell
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Ok. But 3 years for stainless steel to corrode to that degree seems fairly aggressive? Are there non-ferrous alternatives on the market? My main fear is that when we replace the boiler we’ll get the same result.... which could turn into a rather expensive boiler replacement routine
  • mattmia2
    Options
    That tube doesn't look like stainless. Is it supposed to be? It is so crusty I can't tell if the tube is leaking or its connection is leaking.
  • mattmia2
    Options
    Not knowing specifically which model that is, the first baxi boiler I picked is clearly designed for use in a closed system only. If you need to heat an open system, your best bet is to do that through a heat exchanger with components rated for an open system (bronze/stainless pump, open system expansion tank, nonferrous piping, etc.) on the open side of the system.
  • Mark_Russell
    Options
    Pretty sure that’s the stainless return line (it’s inside the boiler - picked up during the annual service). There’s no fitting.... i think it’s weeping right on the bend - I assume it’s pitted on the bend from the inside out. 
  • Mark_Russell
    Options
    Handy drawing in the Baxi manual. Highlighted yellow shows the return line in question. Badly drawn red arrow indicates the bend where the corrosion was found 

• mattmia2
    Options
    I don't see any reason for that to be stainless. It is on the water side of a heating boiler, it isn't exposed to the corrosive products of combustion and would be much more difficult to fabricate in stainless.
  • Mark_Russell
    Options
    The boiler is an ‘ecoblue advance hear’ and the manual states suitable for use in an open system. Can’t find anything to confirm materials of construction 
  • mattmia2
    Options
    It looks like it requires an inhibitor in the system. If that is the case and that wasn't being maintained properly, that could be the source of your corrosion.

I didn't know what type of system this was and I think this is a european system. Open expansion tanks are very uncommon on modern systems here.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    @Mark_Russell

Does it have to be an open system? You have better results if it was closed
    mattmia2
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Can we get a picture further back?
    You may be able to replace that part.... If it comes out ok.