Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vaughn indirect hot water tank -- maintenance or not ?

REMIXME
REMIXME Member Posts: 27
edited April 2021 in Domestic Hot Water
Is it a good idea (or opening a can of worms) to pull the Vaughn indirect hot water tank's copper heat exchanger in order to clean it up (remove expected calcificaiton) and put new gaskets on at same time, in order to extend the life ? Or, since it is not leaking, and working fine at 8 years, should it be left alone ?

My Vaughn DHW (indirect) has been running with too small 1/2" pex, and without its own circulator, and not on priority, and we're going to correct that now, but wonder if there is other maintenance we should do at same time to the Vaughn S30TPP.

The whole system will be down and drained anyway, so wondering if that is a great idea, or a fool's errand. Vaughn says this model "Top Performer, 30 gallon" does indeed have a removeable copper HX but also says it requires NO maintenance, and then says in the next breath "A properly maintained Vaughn tank will last decades."

After reading a thread here where it was mentioned that:
" the heat exchangers were prone to calcifying and the gaskets had a tendency to leak" with a 2nd warning from a poster to "keep an eye on the gasket",

So, now am wondering if it is a big deal to crack open the tank and install a new gasket, (which is NOT leaking now), and "de-calcify" the HX (at this age, yes with poor water quality all these years...would that even work ?? and what would you recommend to use for that task), or whether that is just asking for trouble. Thanks for your best guesses here.
Thanks for ideas !

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    How old? The gasket would have to be replaced w/o a doubt.
  • REMIXME
    8 years old
    Thanks for ideas !
  • REMIXME
    Question is: open it up and yes replace gasket or NO, do not open up at all ?
    Thanks for ideas !
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    Hows it look now? If its not leaking now then there is a pretty good chance it will seal back up well... if it has issues now then leave it alone.
  • REMIXME
    Looks great now, in perfect shape. But am sure the HX must probably be crudded up due to water deposits. Warranty Question: wonder if warranty is voided by opening and cleaning HX and replacing gaskets, ?
    Thanks for ideas !
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    If the coil is dirty you would know for the lack of hot water . The temperature drop between boiler supply and boiler return would be close . You can tell by touch .. To pull the coil for uncalled maintenance , my fear would be lousing up a connection on the coil . If the coil was not producing , I would favor replacing the coil over cleaning it , If I was called in . If the tank was mine , I would leave it alone , pull the coil and clean it if there is a problem . And if the coil develops a leak go back in to replace it ..

Dirty build up depends on your water and the temperature you maintain on the tank . Depends on minerals in your water supply ... Some areas good some not ....
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • REMIXME
    Thanks, very helpful. I am leaning hard towards the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it rule " !
    Thanks for ideas !