Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Antifreeze comparison

What are your thoughts on the different antifreeze products out there? We typically use either Cryotek, or Fernox Alphi 11. I like using the Alphi 11 because it is compatible with all metals, and we don't have to worry about an accidental mixing. On the other hand, it just more than doubled in price over the past month, which puts it more than 4 times cryo. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    Go with what you feel is correct for your situation. If price is your criteria go with what is second best and cheaper.
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    CryoTek AL is compatible with everything the same as Alphi 11. I have never found any benefit to any one glycol brand over another, they all come from the same tank like motor oil does. More expensive doesn't always mean more quality. I don't do anything with aluminum so a basic PG is compatible with all my systems, but I bought 1100 gallons of CryoTek AG when they announced the prices were going to hop. And they did.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    edited April 2021
    For the most part the big names more expensive glycols have a better inhibitor package. They could also be a stronger blend. I know the very inexpensive brands are a weaker solution when you compare the Mix Guide on the containers. So be sure you compare apples to apples as far as what is listed on the label, like freeze protection :)

Most glycol is petroleum bases, we at Caleffi switched to a bio-based fluid for our solar fluids. It has a better pump-ability, but takes a bit more to equal the oil base freeze protection

Susterra is the brand name of the base product, it is 100% petroleum free, 100% renewably sourced. It should be more price stable. Dupont and several ag companies in partnership developed this bio glycol.

It's odd to see a price jump in summer usually winter time is a spike as the aviation industry is at the largest consumer of glycol for plane dei-ce and anti-icers. Sounds like OPEC $$ Greed :) Making up for lost revenue through the Covid months.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream