Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to complete shut off for one pipe system radiator

okanokan
okanokan Member, Email Confirmation Posts: 1
edited September 2021 in Strictly Steam
Hello,

I want to close 2 of the radiators in my home, according to the research I have done in this forum, it is one pipe system.

I tried to close it but I think the valve is stuck. I see one solution, it was about turning the vent upside down and the guy was saying it has to be the other side of the valve

If I turn this upside down, can I drain the water back to the boiler? What advice you give me? Thank you very much.

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    edited April 2021
    This looks like a water system, not a steam system. To stop the heat thru the radiator, you need to close the valve. If the valve does not operate and close properly, then you will need to replace the valve. Some hot water system valves have a small hole in the valve. this is to protect the radiator from freezing. The small hole allows just enough flow to keep the water temperature in the radiator above freezing when the room temperature becomes very cold.

That may be why the radiator feels warm when you have the valve closed.

Also... it looks like you have the same cable installer as I do. Some of those guys are real slobs when it comes to running wires.

The other side has an air vent for water type systems

Respectfully submitted,
    Mr.Ed

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    You have a 2 pipe system because you have 2 pipes connected to the radiator.

Is this hot water or steam? Looks like hot water from the vent you have.

What are you trying to do? Remove the radiator? Too much heat? need more info
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @EdTheHeaterMan

apparently if you cook the cable wire you get a better signal :)
    EdTheHeaterManluketheplumber
  • okanokan
    This is a hot water system I believe, when I turned on the other radiator I heard the water was filling... @EdTheHeaterMan @EBEBRATT-Ed
    I watched one video and they were removing the valve cap, closing with it spanner. Should I try it or I will create a mess? :D Thank you
  • okanokan
    I'm trying to close the radiator because there is no need. that room is empty. @EBEBRATT-Ed
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    When you turn the valve handle, does the valve stem also turn?

If the stem does not turn, you could try loosening the packing nut or remove the handle and try to use a Vice Grip locking plyers on the stem. If you need to use excessive force, then you may need a new valve.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • okanokan
    Thank you very much for your detailed answers... Should I do this operation while the heat is on or off?
    Are you still in this business? If so I want to have your business card. I live in Boston MA @EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited April 2021
    This can be completed with the electric to the boiler on or off. If there is pressure on the boiler (as there should be) and water starts to come out, you will want to be ready to go to the boiler and drain off some pressure. Being prepared will make things go easier. Not being prepared for the worst is usually when the worst happens.

Things like having a hose connected to the boiler drain and testing the boiler drain to see that it opens is a good way to be prepared.