Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Peerless gas wall mounted garage heater

PeerlessDan
PeerlessDan Member Posts: 1
My 40 y/0 Peerless natural gas wall heater (Model V 801 A 1011) has a potentially lethal habit of occasionally delayed ignition. The standing pilot is robust and 99% of the time the external thermostat triggers the appropriate ignition. On occasion...the gas valve opens but ignition is slightly delayed and the accumulated gas (maybe 3 seconds worth) ignites with an exhuberant response. Thoughts to resolve the problem appreciated...(BTW- heater now turned off with gas supply off as well)

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    Burner(s), orifices, draft, gas pressure, heat exchanger. 
    It should be checked by a pro. 
    After 40 years though, it might be time for an upgrade. Ductless?
    mattmia2PeerlessDan
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    I agree on the pro for figuring out the delayed ignition problem, make sure it is someone with a lot of experience with combustion analysis, like the same person you would get to set up a conversion burner or an old cast iron burner furnace or boiler, your average tech isn't going to know what to do with this.

As for replacement, that depends a whole lot on how much it has been used and what sort of environment it is in, if it is just old and maybe a little dirty or if it is all rusty and crusty from decades of daily use or lots of moisture.
    PeerlessDan
  • PeerlessDan
    It's a heater for a two car garage...guess I'm now interested in a suitable replacement? Natural gas, current unit is vented through a chimney leading up to an unheated attic space then through the roof
  • HVACNUT
    Can you post some pics of it? 
    PeerlessDan
  • PeerlessDan

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    has anyone ever uhh...cleaned this?
  • HVACNUT
    I was under the impression this was a wall unit heater. 
    It needs to be checked by a pro.
    Nothing atypical about them. It does look a little neglected. How loud is the fan? With a ductless, you might be able to hear yourself think.
  • PeerlessDan
    As it's in a garage...the fan noise isn't an issue. The startling late ignition? More so...I will have it inspected next week by a professional who has been around for ~40 years as a boiler inspector...any thoughts about a replacement if it's declared DOA would be appreciated...
  • HVACNUT
    Modine is most popular by me but they're all pretty much the same. They're about as basic as it gets.
    PeerlessDan
  • PeerlessDan
    Much appreciated HVACNUT...as well as all who posted!