Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus GB142 Series HX Cleaning Methodology or Process

GB142
GB142 Member Posts: 33
I have read so many threads about the GB142 HX getting clogged with build up, i.e. like calcium. In addition, I have read many services techs approach or methods to cleaning them.

Even very experienced techs, seem to try and just manually scrape or chip away the deposits. It can be effective, but time-consuming. If the proper approach is not used one could also damage the fins or even the tubes. I recently opened mine up and scraped the top half with a credit card cut in half to get into the 45-degree angles. It worked well even for a basic clean, but I would prefer a better method.

I have read about using mineral oil for years and have had a bottle of baby oil ( mineral oil with fragrance) sitting next to my unit for at least 5 years. I have never used it but would like to finally try.

Based on my research, it seems that one should put the mineral oil in a spray bottle and spray inside the and around the HX, while avoiding the igniter and sensors. Then close the unit and run high for 10-15 minutes. Let cool then clean. I have never seen a video of this though. Can someone tell me if the deposits soften or turn to an ashlike material, similar to what happens with a self-clean oven?

Does anyone out there have step-by-step instructions explaining how this should be done properly and what to expect for results?

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    edited March 2021
    We used mineral oil for years, and then somebody at Bosch Buderus told to stop doing that. It’s one of the drawbacks of this boiler, I can really get clogged up badly. I’ve never seen a step-by-step or a video myself. My service man takes care of all these tuneups for my company.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    They also state in the service manual to not use inhibitors or additives which I found odd. CYA I guess. 
  • I followed this video the last time I cleaned one. I used mineral oil, but from what Gary says above, I'd check with Bosch Buderus to find out what to use instead. 603-552-1100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZTu37sEELg&list=PLq4NGiyqj85YbH1rMZ1lfRFwEj4kkmFxb&index=6

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
  • GW
    Maybe it was the rep that told me, I really don’t recall.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • woobagooba
    woobagooba Member Posts: 186
    I used that video to perform a cleaning on my 142 last years. Gary thanks again for helping me nurse it through another winter.

I'm now replacing that 142. Its available for parts. HX is near end of life, but otherwise useful for parts. Drop me a message if you are interested. Cheers
    GW
  • GB142
    GB142 Member Posts: 33
    edited March 2021
    Wow, that Video was great. I watched some other videos of theirs, but could not locate that one. I just looked up AXI-Therm CF9-AL solution's MSDS which shows it is Sodium Hydroxide 7-13%.

HOLY CRAP THOUGH. Supply house sells it for $96 for 33oz!!!!

I think I may try the baby oil first or try and find sodium hydroxide in another form.

I know that my boilermate indirect hot water tank has aluminum fins. I run a well and every 1 year need to clean it. They recommend either lots of vinegar or Sodium Phosphate Solution (what's used for ice machines).

What does the Chimney Sweep function do on the boiler? Is it like a self-cleaning oven function?
  • GW
    Yes chimney button is “high fire” 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com