Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Spirovent capped

deedee1234
deedee1234 Member Posts: 9
edited March 2021 in Gas Heating
Picture removed. Thanks for everyone's help!
My heating tech installed a Spirovent to remove air from my system. We still had problems with circulation of the water through our baseboard heating due to air in the system. Actually, it got worse. There was loud clunking. Two weeks later, the tech came and did some more work and capped the Spirovent. Doesn't that render it useless?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Yes.
    steve
    deedee1234SuperTech
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,689
    does seem silly, doesn't it?
    post one picture showing your new Spiro, the boiler, the circulator, and the expansion tank, all in one if you can,
    someone here will figure you out,
    and that said, where are you located?
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/
    known to beat dead horses
    deedee1234
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    He may have discovered that with the order that those items are plumbed, the air vent was sucking air into the system.
    HomerJSmithDerheatmeisterSuperTechdeedee1234
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,425
    Pics please.
    deedee1234
  • deedee1234
    edited March 2021
    I removed the pic
  • deedee1234
    I posted a picture. So, from comments, it probably needs to be in another location?
  • deedee1234
    To the person who asked where I am, I'm in Staten Island, NY.
  • neilc
    can we see a picture of the backside of the spiro, and that circ,
    and how that pipes to the boiler
    deedee1234
  • neilc
    doesn't seem like the spiro can be down there and be piped to a circulating loop
    deedee1234
  • deedee1234

Does this help
  • neilc
    with or without that spiro, you should be able to quiet that water down,
    there's a decent purge station there,
    what pressure do you see on the boiler?
    and does it vary much from when hot and cold?
    ideally the expansion tank and feed would be piped before the circulator, pumping away,
    there are guys here that work in your area,
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/
  • deedee1234
    Thanks. I'll check the guys out in my area. The problem was that one zone wasn't circulating. It was drained, several times. Would circulate for a few days. Drained again. All was checked out and determined to be working. Including the circulator. The spirovent was then installed. The problem got worse. The pipes were clunking after installation of the vent and the one zone stopped circulating. Then the cap was put on. Made no sense to me. The guy said he put the cap on because the air was coming out too fast. Again, didn't make sense to me. He checked everything out again. Drained again and now the heat circulates. I think the comments here are correct. It's in the wrong location, it was sucking air in, he capped it, drained the system again and now it's been working for a few weeks. When presented with this info, they guy insists the cap slows the air down and the vent is in the correct place.
    SuperTech
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    Unless there is a restriction or no static pressure I don't think it would suck air in there, but i don't entirely see how it is piped. i tihink it is piped on the outlet of the boiler and the circulator is pumping in to the boiler.

The way to get enough air out to start circulation would be to close the through valve in the purge station and force water out from the prv, though the loop, and out a drain(opening zone valves for that zone or closing isolation valves for other zones as applicable), not by draining it.
    deedee1234
  • neilc
    edited March 2021
    are there other air vents upstairs?
    or other wheres?
    ( I see the one by the tank )

and what pressure do you see on the boiler gage?
  • neilc
    and Mattmia2 makes a good point,
    shut the boiler off so the circulator is off,
    and then read the boiler pressure, what is it??
    (then remember to turn the boiler back on)
  • deedee1234
    edited March 2021
    I found a heating co. in my area from the link you sent me, neilc. I am going to call them tomorrow.
  • deedee1234
    edited March 2021
    Had the new heating guys in. They suggested moving the pump forward and the expansion tank over to the right side and down of boiler and a new vent. Thanks again to those who suspected the vent was sucking air in in its current placement and that's why it was capped. And thanks to neilc for sending the link to guys in my area who came to assess it today. I have to add this: General Manager Northern Region Spirotherm, Inc. also thinks the placement/order is the problem and that it was sucking air in. So there's that. Thanks everyone!
  • deedee1234
    edited March 2021
    Yep. Funny. Not funny. Frustrating.