Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Learning curve

Halbert
Halbert Member Posts: 15
Until 4 years ago, I had lived my entire life with natural gas, forced air heat. Now I live in a different part of the country, and have fuel oil hot water baseboards. I've learned a few things by trial and error, and am trying to figure out what the best way to operate the system is.

I have a system with 3 taco zone valves, the main zone is the first floor of the house, and there are two smaller zones to the second floor, where there are two large rooms. The boiler is a Lennox, that is fairly new--less than 10 years. I bought the house in the spring of 2019, so this is the second winter. I have a separate propane hot water heater, so the heating boiler does not provide hot water.

So, a few questions:

For the main floor, is there any advantage to doing turn down at night, say from a daytime of 70 and a night time of 64? It can take several hours to get to daytime temperature. I think there is advantage to the upstairs rooms, because they aren't used as much. Or, for the main floor, running at a constant 68 day and night?

I have learned that when it starts getting cold, I need to turn up the aquastat to get more heat. With this kind of system, is there advantage to adding outside reset? Or just make occasional adjustments to the aquastat?

Is there anything that needs to be done in the spring when shutting the boiler off to protect it? How often do I need to have the service tech come to check things out in the late summer/early fall before the season starts? Is there ever a need to drain and flush the system?

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    With oil , I recommend a service contract with your oil company . If any problem you can just call . Lock in you price for fuel in August could be your best bet .
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    If it's Oil should be checked once thoughly the first time then if it's running good it should be checked every year just a combustion check and a quick once over then go through it every 3 years or so. Gas go through it once good then a check up every 3-4 years. As long as they are operating in a clean enviroment. If there's a lot of cat or dog hair or sawdust more often

No need to flush or drain a hot water system. just keep your eye on things

I would set the high limit aqustat at 190 and leave it. No need to fiddle with it if you don't get DHW off the boiler which you don't with a separate water heater.

I wouldn't do a 6 degree set back when it's cold out you won't save anything. The upper rooms I would set back 6 deg if seldom used. The main floor 4 degrees in the winter 6in the spring and fall see how it responds.

Keep an eye on the boiler triadicator (temp & pressure gauge) Pressure should be 12-15 cold boiler may get to 20 when hot. Temp when running and heating should be 130-190 with limit set at 190. Should,t operate below 130 for extended time. It will be lower than that on a cold start but for normal running above 130
  • Halbert
    Halbert Member Posts: 15
    Thanks guys!