Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Did someone forget a regulator?

Options
instantnet
instantnet Member Posts: 1
2 gas heaters and 125k and 75k
Manual = Gas pressure to appliance controls must never exceed 14" W.C. (1/2 psi)
Utility States = The meter size at this address is 250. Which means it can handle up to 250,000 BTUs.
Meter reads 5lbs but it also looks like it has a 250 cf/h

I was told the gas company personally came in and took a look at the gas heaters when there was no service. I was also told by a contractor that the meter is really high and each of the devices should have a regulator on it to bring it down?

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,844
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I clearly see a regulator in this picture.

Why do you ask? is there a problem with the operation of the connected equipment?

The valve CLOSED position may be the cause. Also check to see if the appliance switch is ON and the thermostat is set higher than the room temperature.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    That regulator might be a high pounds to 2 pounds for the meter.
    The meter is labeled 5PSI as that is the max it can handle.
    You might have 2 PSI going into the building and need regulators at each appliance to drop this to 7" WC or a 1/4 PSI.
    Easy to measure....good to know before blowing out your gas valves.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,536
    edited February 2021
    Options
    What @JUGHNE said

Around here 14" is max in a building no high pressure without special permission. But in some states it is allowed
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 906
    Options
    This probably should be in a thread of it's own, but since you are discussing gas pressures try to get your brain to accept this.

Here is a story about gas pressure going to and into a school building. Many years ago, one of the public school agencies, I do not know which one, would only allow 10 PSI gas pressure on a public school's property and only 8 OZ of gas pressure was allowed to penetrate the wall of the building. Hence, a school in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, Pa that was equipped with what I believe were Keeler water tube boilers and Coen burners needed about 2-3 PSI of gas to operate. So, there was about 100 PSI of gas pressure at the public road which had to be reduced to 10 PSI to cross the school's property, then had to be reduced to 8OZ to penetrate the building's wall and then had to be increased back up to 2-3 PSI with gas compressors for the Coen burners. Years later those codes were changed.