Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Magnetic debris filters for Mod Con boilers

Redduc97
Redduc97 Member Posts: 15
How important is it to install a magnetic boiler filter when replacing a boiler?

Comments

• nosirra1Arrison
    nosirra1Arrison Member Posts: 57
    Essential. If you could see what comes out of mine you would agree 200%. I’ll try to get a picture if I get some debris in my next flush. My system is newer PEX with an aluminum block boiler
    SuperTech
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    I only do it on older sys that are very dirty or when I suspect oxygen ingression. It's magnetic so it only deals with ferrous debris. However, non magnetic debris may fall out of the flow stream in a dirt collector.

I flush older sys 3 times when replace a boiler and sometimes use a chemical, too.

'hot_rod' would be the one who could give information that's trustworthy.
  • nosirra1Arrison
    I would add that ECM circulators (like Grundfos Alpha2) especially need the magnetic part of the filter. Their motors attract metallic debris.
    HomerJSmithSuperTech
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    nosirra1Arrison--Thanks for the reminder.
    Let me correct my previous post. I ALWAYS put on a Dirtmag when I have ECM pumps.
    SuperTech
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,023
    Why not?
    All hydronic system have oxygen ingress. So it depends on how much O2 ingress and how much ferrous metals you have in the system.
    Non barrier pex is the worse for O2 ingress buy all pex allows some O2 in.

Turns out the systems with small amounts of ferrous metals can breakdown faster. The old cast boiler, steel piping systems can be less prone to magnetite concerns.

I'd invest in a good dirt separator with a magnetic function, you get the best of both critical functions.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    HomerJSmithSTEVEusaPASuperTech
  • Redduc97
    I have a follow up question regarding the Caleffi hydro separator. Will the base model separator provide sufficient air removal or will I need to add a micro bubble air removal device as well. I know there is the Sep-4 option that does both micro bubble and magnetic dirt removal.
  • hot_rod
    Do you mean the 548 series? It does have the coalescing media for excellent air and dirt, but no magnet.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Redduc97
    Thank you for getting back to me. I had planned on the an 1 1/4" 548 series but was not sure if it had coalescing media and if it would eliminate air as well as a dedicated Discal or Spirovent.
  • hot_rod
    Yes it has a stainless mesh from top to bottom.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • nosirra1Arrison
    Here is a sample after a typical Dirtmag flush. 

• gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    I use caleffi dirtmag
    SuperTech
  • sunlight33
    sunlight33 Member Posts: 378
    Would you install the filter such as the dirtmag in the primary loop or the secondary loop if you have a low-loss header?
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Callefi Dirt Mag is your insurance.
    SuperTech
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    edited February 2021
    Would you install the filter such as the dirtmag in the primary loop or the secondary loop if you have a low-loss header?
    I have a primary loop only in my design and I installed at the return leg because I wanted to catch the debris before it hit the boiler. If your circulator is on the return leg, be sure to put the DirtMag before the pump. My Alpha2 circulator is above boiler on supply side so both the pump and boiler are protected. 
  • Redduc97
    Here is a picture of the finished install.
    SuperTechPC7060PeteA