Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Repair parts for old Burnham Boiler

dbsoccer
dbsoccer Member Posts: 5
I have a 1985 vintage Burnham boiler (EG-2004PV) that is working fine. But I worry about a component failure and not being able to find parts in a timely manner.

In particular, there is a printed circuit assembly that appears to be discontinued by Burnham and I'm wondering if there is a replacement. The part number is 8136078. I also have found where people have had their failed logic board repaired. It is simply technology from an electronics perspective so I suspect repairing it possible. I'd prefer to have a replacement on hand to avoid down time needed for a repair.

I know that Glenn Stanton contributes to this site and is someone who may have an answer.

Help from anyone would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 9,107
    Why not post a few pictures so we can see what you have. Sadly, Mr Stanton has passed on
  • dbsoccer
    dbsoccer Member Posts: 5


    It is also referred to as the "GK150 VIZLOGIC CONTROL MODULE"
  • dbsoccer
    dbsoccer Member Posts: 5
    correction on model XG-2004PV and not EG-2004PV
  • bucksnort
    bucksnort Member Posts: 110
    edited February 16
    That Vizlogic board is sitting somewhere gathering dust in some shop in America. The impossible task is finding that unicorn. I called probably 10 places. If you do find one expect to shell out $600+. I did burn a relay out on mine last Fall when I cleaned my unit and didn't attach the roll out switch and turned it on. The roll out switch was grounding to the frame and snap, crackle, pop.
    Took it to a circuit board repair place and they took a relay off an older board that went South 25 years ago that I kept for just for this and swapped it out. You can get the relays on Amazon . It all depends how bad it smokes the board if it's repairable. The tech told me he could repair my old board if need be. 25 years ago it was $110 for a new board. Cost to swap the relay was $30. Free if I had any electronics soldering skills.
    After 33 years it's time to replace the boiler mainly because of the board and lots of rust dropping down on the burners. She's been a great gal but it's time to retire her with a Revolution boiler I found that was brand new and is waiting to be put in this Summer. My XG would go through crappy Johnson Control ignitions every 18 months like clockwork. Replaced with a Honeywell that has been running for 23 years.
    Found a draft fan on Craigslist new in the box for $75 to replace my screaming one about 5 years ago. Those you can find still for $650-800.
    So sadly the answer is no, even though it has simple parts, the board is it's Achilles heal. Even vs3000 boards for my Revo are getting in short supply and $$ even though it was built in 2012 but discontinued in 2013? I'm searching for a spare one or could get a Taco to do the variable bypass electronics. Good luck. When I junk her I'm selling the board on ebay for $400+.
  • bucksnort
    bucksnort Member Posts: 110
    Here ya go if they even have one. $645 I wouldn't dump $100 into mine anymore.
    http://www.boilershack.com/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=8136078&submit_search=
  • bucksnort
    bucksnort Member Posts: 110
    OP, have you ever replaced your thermostatic valve? I think mine is toast as I get a blast of hot water out the supply and then cold and then hot. I never knew these were supposed to be changed out. I get one if you plan on keeping the XG. Of course no one shows having this part. Maybe Burnham?
    The repair part number for the thermostatic bypass element is #80160432. This comes with a new gasket a resembles an automobile thermostat It's a Taco bypass so maybe Taco has the valve.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,485
    Post the name of the electronic repair place here, so others in the same boat can have their boards repaired as well.—NBC
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 3,172
    Does the safety chain simply connect to the board to the valve or is the board part if the safety control? you can definitely find a substitute for that relay from mouser or digikey but if it is part of the safety system i would want to find that exact part.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 9,107
    I am all about putting in the correct parts and not violating some UL requirement. But what are you supposed to do when the MFG doesn't support the equipment. Sorry Burnham, I wouldn't install one if it was the last boiler on earth....there leakers anyhow.


    I suppose you could strip the boiler of it's controls and start from scratch with some modern controls
  • Spiek
    Spiek Member Posts: 0
    I had 2 of those boards in my shop this fall, in the matter of 3 weeks I sold and installed both of them to apartment owners whose boilers were not working and needed the board. I also had the induced draft fan assembly that I installed on one the boilers as well.
  • dbsoccer
    dbsoccer Member Posts: 5
    It is extremely unlikely Burnham designed specific relays to put on their control boards. The control board is custom but not the parts (or the vast majority of the parts). Some of the more recent products may have high tech logic chips, digital technology, etc. But what I've seen of the logic controller for the XG2000 it is simple analog technology. So the relay is most likely a readily available relay. If you get the numbers and brand off the existing relay an electronics parts supplier can match it exactly or provide a functional equivalent. It's just a relay, after all.
  • bucksnort
    bucksnort Member Posts: 110

    Post the name of the electronic repair place here, so others in the same boat can have their boards repaired as well.—NBC

    https://www.circuitboardrepair.net Madison, WI. I was really impressed with these guys. The relays are standard relays. About $7-8 bucks on Amazon. Just so the board doesn't do a major meltdown it can be fixed to a point.
    I'm sure you could rig up some Honeywell unit to take over what the control board did if you had the time and smarts to figure out how to MacGyver it. I'm sure your insurance would have a sheet fit if something went wrong and it either blew up by heat or gas. I don't have a problem with replacing parts when they are available within a reasonable amount of time. But when a part goes and it's been below 0 for 10 days like in my AO my tolerance for finding parts gets thin.
  • bucksnort
    bucksnort Member Posts: 110
    Spiek said:

    I had 2 of those boards in my shop this fall, in the matter of 3 weeks I sold and installed both of them to apartment owners whose boilers were not working and needed the board. I also had the induced draft fan assembly that I installed on one the boilers as well.

    I bet you threw them out. That's a shame as someone could maybe have them rebuilt and have one as a spare.
  • Spiek
    Spiek Member Posts: 0
    bucksnort said:

    Spiek said:

    I had 2 of those boards in my shop this fall, in the matter of 3 weeks I sold and installed both of them to apartment owners whose boilers were not working and needed the board. I also had the induced draft fan assembly that I installed on one the boilers as well.

    I bet you threw them out. That's a shame as someone could maybe have them rebuilt and have one as a spare.
    Unfortunately they did end up in the trash, they had been moved from 2 former buildings into our current shop. I was discussing what to do with one of my technicians and our counter guy said hold on a minute, went in the back and pulled it out from the back of a shelf. A week later we needed the other one.

    The owners of the apartments were informed that the parts are obsolete and they should think about replacing the boilers, so we may get them back this spring.
  • bucksnort
    bucksnort Member Posts: 110
    Spiek said:

    bucksnort said:

    Spiek said:

    I had 2 of those boards in my shop this fall, in the matter of 3 weeks I sold and installed both of them to apartment owners whose boilers were not working and needed the board. I also had the induced draft fan assembly that I installed on one the boilers as well.

    I bet you threw them out. That's a shame as someone could maybe have them rebuilt and have one as a spare.
    Unfortunately they did end up in the trash, they had been moved from 2 former buildings into our current shop. I was discussing what to do with one of my technicians and our counter guy said hold on a minute, went in the back and pulled it out from the back of a shelf. A week later we needed the other one.

    The owners of the apartments were informed that the parts are obsolete and they should think about replacing the boilers, so we may get them back this spring.
    There gets to a point where any shop or warehouse deep sixes parts that might be needed every so often instead of current needs. If shops had to "save" parts that might be needed 10 years down the road it doesn't make logistical sense to "hold" parts for just that. The days of going to the auto parts store for a part for the 52 Buick and the clerk going in back and dusting off the Remy generator box are long gone.
    There is money to be made selling used parts off units scrapped if a person is so motivated to do it. It's too bad there aren't junkyards for older HVAC units like cars. If I was a tech junking an old XG boiler with a good control board, there's an easy $400 selling that board on EBay. There is a niche for collecting used parts like the Vizlogic boards and such.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!