Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to insulate fittings?

HarryL
HarryL Member Posts: 59
What are the techniques for covering fittings with insulation? The elbows and tees in the near boiler piping seem reasonably significant. Or maybe compared to the 40' of main it really isn't. I have insulated the mains where I have access.

Thanks,
Harry
Home owner, 1927 2-story, single family
1 pipe Burnham IN4I, Boston area

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    90 Degree Elbow Insulated Fitting Covers
    90 Degree Elbow Insulated Fitting Covers
    These insulated covers fit over bare pipe elbows to provide protection against freezing, wear, and damage. They're suitable for indoor or outdoor use on chilled water, hot water, steam, and other piping systems in commercial, industrial, and institutional applications.
    Brands
    JOHNS MANVILLE

They make 90 deg ells, 45 deg ells and tees...thats about it. They come with fiberglass to put over the fitting and a PVC cover you put on with special errated thumb tacks.

ww grainger sells them they are a little hard to locate
  • Clance
    Clance Member Posts: 53
    Im a 2-family home owner and just insulated both my systems - ordered all my insulation supplies online from buyinsulationproducts.com.  Reasonably priced, much cheaper than Grainger and they had everything in stock.  Ordered on a Sunday, Shipped from NJ on Monday, received it on Wednesday.  They had a wide selection of the pvc fitting covers in all sizes and they came with pre cut insulation and tape.  - were only a few bucks each.  90s, 45s, Ts, unions.  They are pretty convenient- wrap the pre-cut and insulation around the fitting and slide the cap over it.  Secure with serrated tacks.  I also taped the joints.  They have helpful videos on their site.
    For fiberglass pipe insulation they have both Owens Corning and Johns Manville and they reserve the right to ship which ever they have on hand.  On my order, I noticed I received Johns Manville for bigger sizes and Owens on smaller sizes. Here’s a link to their site:
    https://www.buyinsulationproductstore.com/
  • HarryL
    HarryL Member Posts: 59
    I just stumbled onto that site before checking back here and was wondering about them.
    Thanks!
    Home owner, 1927 2-story, single family
    1 pipe Burnham IN4I, Boston area
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    @Clance

good to know
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Here is a tip for installing the pvc fitting covers with the tacks.

Put the tacks through the first layer of the overlapping pvc before placing it on the fitting....much easier
    HarryL