Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat gravitating with flow check

Bill Julian
Bill Julian Member Posts: 162
I installed a bunch of Cast Iron BB HW heating boiler using the 007 plastic flow checks. Still getting heat gravitating to the radiation wondering why? Hate to buy a bunch of Taco CXC flow checks if I don't have to. Thanks for any comments.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Could be heat going up and down the return side?
    unless something is stuck in those spring checks they seal “bubble tight” It takes .35- 1/2 psi to pop them open
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Bill Julian
    Yea, I don't know. Might have to drain the system and take them off to check them. Thanks for the insight
  • hot_rod
    edited February 2021
    I had another hydronics pro tell me around 5- 7 years he ends up replacing a lot of those intergral checks, regardless of the brand.
    I don't like them positioned so close to the circ, they see some turbulent conditions. The white ones are not listed for very high temperature. And of course fluid with "chunks" in it is always going to be a challange for any hydronic device.

If they do have debris, adding a Y strainer or dirt separator might be a good move. Any hydronic valve or device with small passageways should be protect somehow.

Install all circs with isolation to make service down the road a simple task, knowing these checks are going to be a service item.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Are any of the zones slit into tees ?
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Bill Julian
    Not sure what you mean, slit into tees, you mean split loop? All zones are one loop cast iron radiation on 4 of the 5 zones.
  • Big Ed_4
    What about the 5th . Split loops will bypass if not piped back into a second tee and a single return ,,,
  • Bill Julian
    I have no split loops in the entire system.
  • Bill Julian
    I have 4 zones with CI BB and 1 zone Copper Fin no split loops all heating fine but the issue with the flow check.
  • hot_rod
    4 zones all zoned with pumps? All need to have adequate flow checks to prevent reverse flow. As well as forward, gravity induced flow.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Bill Julian
    All of these zones installed on the return as I have done for decades without issues. All pumps, all 5 zones.
    I have the flow checks inside the circs.
  • Big Ed_4
    With large long risers sometimes two checks are needed ... Since you are installing the checks on the return the supply is open to the gravity of hot water . You need to instal a flow check on the supply ..
  • Bill Julian
    got it
  • hot_rod
    Why the pumps on the return? With pumps on supply and checked you might be fine, and also pumping away from the exp tank.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Bill Julian
    edited February 2021
    True. I got a question. Can I use the plastic flow check that is inserted into the 007 on heat pex? In other words, can I install this type of flow check "inline" using the 3/4 orange heat pex and obviously some kind of adapters? Never tried it before if it is even possible? This would be installed INLINE on supply side.
  • hot_rod
    Caleffi has 1/2- 1”
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Bill Julian
    Thanks!!