Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to seal a Boiler Combustion Chamber

Prevch
Prevch Member Posts: 106
edited February 2021 in Radiant Heating

My Boiler's combustion chamber was leaking bad the other day. We had to take it apart as we were troubleshooting some issues and then when we put it back together LP and exhaust was leaking out. It got to the point where it actually wouldn't fire. We took it apart and tried to reseat the gasket and even added high heat silicone. We put it all back together and it worked for awhile and then a small leak developed again. Enough for the boiler to not fire.

I am trying to track down a new gasket now, but do you guys know of any other kind of sealant product we can try to get this thing sealed up well long term?

The gasket that came with the boiler seems kind of flimsy / bad. It is not a great fit, so I think the margin for error to reseat it perfectly is pretty low.

Any ideas?

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    OEM gasket only. Get rid of the sillycone. 
    Any combustion numbers?
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    Manufacturers choose o-rings based on price, not so much on durability. Neoprene type compounds harden rather quickly and don't seal in a lot of applications, especially if there is elevated temperature.
  • Prevch
    mattmia2 said:
    Manufacturers choose o-rings based on price, not so much on durability. Neoprene type compounds harden rather quickly and don't seal in a lot of applications, especially if there is elevated temperature.
    Yeah the gasket seems pretty flimsy and cheap. I am going to try to clean it up and repeat the gasket qith some high heat red gasket maker gel and see if I can get it to cooperate.
  • Prevch
    Ended up buying an overpriced factory gasket and it is sealed up now