Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Boiler

rjh1
rjh1 Member Posts: 1
Installed a new Peerless WBV-03 boiler ,, before it comes on the blower runs for approximately 15 ish seconds . then it ignites ?? Why does the blower run before hand ??
It ignites fine -- don't understand ? Thanks

Comments

• STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,953
    That's  by design. Creates draft before flame starts. 
    STEVEusaPAkcoppSuperTech
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Should run after the burner shuts down as well to clear the boiler and flue of products of combustion. Totally normal.
    kcopp
  • rjh1
    Awesome Thanks ! ! ! Much appreciated My old one was a Crown with a Beckett pump it didn't do it.. This one is also a Beckett system but a Peerless boiler unit
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 507
    Yep, newer designs. As well as clearing the combustion chamber and helping start a draft, the newer controls also allows the pump to build full pressure before the oil solenoid snaps on - prevents a dirty start from a low pressure build up, then snaps the oil off cleanly on stop - prevents a dirty shutdown from dribbling oil from the decaying pressure.

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    I'm surprised the contractor didn't explain that while going over the system with you. 
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 507
    HVACNUT said:

I'm surprised the contractor didn't explain that while going over the system with you. 

I wonder how many people would even notice that? On my boiler, there is only a small change of sound between motor/fan only and when the burner ignites.
  • rjh1
    Well another inquiry please . . . . Where should the high temp be set to ?- Low temp ? and economy be set at ? there isn't a outside ambient temp sensor attached so I don't think the eco would be set ? There is NOT multiple zones.. In case that matters.. for those that helped before . . Yea the blower runs approximately 15 seconds then ignition
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    MaxMercy said:

Yep, newer designs. As well as clearing the combustion chamber and helping start a draft, the newer controls also allows the pump to build full pressure before the oil solenoid snaps on - prevents a dirty start from a low pressure build up, then snaps the oil off cleanly on stop - prevents a dirty shutdown from dribbling oil from the decaying pressure.

All fuel pumps have a built in cut off. Adding the solenoid is of course much better for cleaner light offs and shut downs.
    steve