Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Kitchen issue

Hello All, 

I have a small kitchen that has three entry ways. One wall has the counter/sink/stove, etc. The second wall has the fridge which is in front of baseboard heating (plumbed); the third wall leads to the basement and has baseboard heating, and this fourth "pony wall" which is hallow from what we can gather. 

Im trying to figure out if the fridge is ok to be built in-considering that it is in front of this baseboard heating. Id like to make it myself -or try to, so I would cut out enough space for the baseboard heating. 

Also, we bought the house with the fridge in this spot. Ive heard that the fridge cant be too close to a stove, so does the same "over heating" theory apply to the fridge in front of a baseboard heating system? 

We are already low on the square foot-to-heat ratio bc we took out a portion of baseboard heat to install a sliding glass door in the dining area which is connected and open to the kitchen. 

Thoughts? Appreciate any help I can get:)

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Is that a "Wheaten" ?

I don't understand where you want to build in the fridge.
  • Morrisonc2
    Morrisonc2 Member Posts: 5
    He is a minladbradoodle. Im not sure what to do with the fridge. the second and third walls have baseboard heating. id like to build it in no matter what bc I like the look of it-the fridge sticks out so much bc of the baseboard heating. i also want to know if the fridge is "allowed" to be in front of the baseboard heating.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    Do you have access from below? A panel radiator appropriately sized say on the half wall or one of the other open wall sections could replace the baseboard radiators.
    kcopp
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    The fridge doesn't look like it's on an exterior wall so the baseboard isn't doing much anyway in the heat loss battle.
    You could remove that section and go to high output baseboard it the other areas.
    As much as I hate them, a toe kick heater, or, my favorite, staple up radiant. 
    Do you know what the heat loss is for the kitchen and how many BTU's are needed?
    Morrisonc2
  • Morrisonc2
    HVACNUT
    The wall behind the fridge is to the garage. not exactly "outside" or along the perimeter but the garage isnt insulated. That being said, that third wall does have baseboard heat and its "inside" the perimeter so I dont know. I can try to find out about the heat loss and BTUs.
    I havent looked into staple up radiant. Our basement is unfinished and it has been easy to access plumbing and electric. If we went with this type of added heat system would that limit us if we decided to finish our basement? How much does it cost to install? The kitchen is 12 by 12 including the cabinets.
    At the end of the day, what would you do? what system would you chose?
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527
    I would put the fridge where the garbage can is currently. You would have enough remaining wall space to heat the kitchen with high output baseboard, although if there is room in your budget for stable up radiant...it will feel wonderful.
    JUGHNEMorrisonc2
  • mattmia2
    Is that door fire rated to go between a dwelling and a garage?
  • JimP
    JimP Member Posts: 87
    I agree with Robert. The kitchen will work better with the fridge where the garbage can is. I'd remove the baseboard behind it and make up the radiation someplace else. It would be handy to have some counter and maybe cabinets next to the fridge. Consider a small wall to hide the fridge from the dining room.
    JUGHNEMorrisonc2
  • Morrisonc2
    Thanks everyone. Im starting to get a better handle on it.
    Mattmia,
    Thanks. Yes we have access from below. I am not sure about the door. Does the panel radiator go parallel to the floor or inside a wall? someone suggested putting an infared heat panel inside the pony wall but from what I can tell, you cant put that inside a wall. Am I wrong? I hate to be picky given that I am so limited in choices, but I dont want anything noticeable if that makes sense. What would you do if you were me?
  • mattmia2
    It hangs on the surface of the wall. You can get ones that look nice like from Runtal. It isn't as noticeable as baseboard radiator if you pick a good location and form for it. You could also put a TRV and bypass on it so it would shout off if cooking is heating the kitchen. Heating the fridge with the heat emitters probably isn't the best of ideas.
  • Morrisonc2
    Mattmia, what is a TRV?
    Thanks again all!
  • mattmia2
    thermostatic radiator valve. This sort of thing:
    https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/modern-radiator-trv-thermostatic-radiator-valve-modern-radiator-panel-thermostic-valve-to-control-heat-output-reduce-165552850.jpg

you can set it to turn off that radiator when the kitchen is already warm enough.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Not everyone's favorite choice but a kick space heater' under the kitchen sink
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,719
    edited January 2021
    Does not look like a garage you would park a car thru that wall. Look more like a place to park your A$$ with a beer to watch the game.

Kickspace heater (properly installed) is the best option for a kitchen with cabinets and counter everywhere. The choice of sitting next to a Panel Radiator is nice on a cold winter morning. Another thought is a cabinet heater on the pony wall. A custom cabinet can be made to heat both sides of the wall and someone could sit at the counter to enjoy their coffee while reading the paper. Do they still read newspapers?

Picture this
    Inside this

With louvers on both sides of the pony wall. and a 12" to 18" wide top and 2 stools tucked under the overhang. (opposite the refrigerator side) That will warm your buns in the morning!

Yours Truly,
    Mr.Ed
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    The refrigerator is trying to discharge heat out the back or underneath, so the fin tube is not helping that :)
    The fridge may be putting as much heat as that baseboard into the room.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream