Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe dope - gone bad or new chocolate flavor?

lbeachmike
lbeachmike Member Posts: 177
Hey guys -

This tube is super old - like 20-30 years old ... but was sealed. I've only ever seen pipe dope in white. Is this no good? I'm not sure if it goes bad ... thanks!

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    edited January 2021
    Different types were lots of different colors. The most common conventional type is gray. Usually only the teflon type is white or off white.

I have cans that I am still using that are over 20 years old.
  • lbeachmike
    lbeachmike Member Posts: 177
    mattmia2 said:

Different types were lots of different colors. The most common conventional type is gray. Usually only the teflon type is white or off white.

I have cans that I am still using that are over 20 years old.

Sounds like you are saying that this should be okay to use. Incidentally, is temperature the reason for using this stuff versus tape? Somebody told me not to use teflon tape when replacing my steam vent and to use this instead. Thanks!
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    Mostly preference. On steam systems if you use a lot of it, like to replace sections of piping, the oils could interfere with the steaming of the boiler and need to be skimmed off. Tape if applied incorrectly can get in to things like gas valves and cause them to not seat properly or stick. Sometimes tape or a combination of both can seal damaged or poorly made threads better than just dope. If it will still spread and stick to the threads it should be fine. Dope is usually faster and easier to apply than tape.
    lbeachmike
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    edited January 2021
    I stir my pipe dope before I paste it on. If a tube, I repeatedly squeeze the tube with the cap on to mix the contents before I use it.

When in doubt, throw it out.
    lbeachmike
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Pipe dope questions on this forum

ask "what is the best pipe dope" You will get thousands of answers. Dope only, dope with tape. tape first then dope. dope then tape then more dope. Blue monster tape, yellow tape white tape...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................It goes on forever

You know what? Use what works for you.

I agree if the dope hasn't separated or hardened up it's probably fine
    mattmia2lbeachmike
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    edited January 2021
    The real pipe dope is the installer that doesn't use anything.
    lbeachmike