Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

DWV fittings with no pressure rating meet UPC 2015?

maine_way
maine_way Member Posts: 20
Hello all,

Supplyhse sells spear brand PVC fittings under heading DWV fittings. They are compatible in size for use with SCH 40 pipe. They do not have pressure rating or schedule rating. I cannot imagine they would not pass a 5psi pressure test to show Code guy that the system is tight. But, would they meet the code requirements of UPC 2015 (code for my area)?

If not, why do they even sell them?

Shawn

Comments

• maine_way
    Thank you. I can only read the fitting size, type, and brand in the image on line. There is an official looking stamp with small type I can't read. Pic attached.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Drain waste and vent fittings are for .....drain waste and vent. Of course they fit schd. 40, schd. 80 they even fit PVC electrical conduit.

Pipe is pipe it all has the same OD...tubing or pex or cast iron is another story.

Don't forget drain waste and vent in the old days was all threaded. They don't make dies for different schedules of pipe, they kept the OD the same
    maine_wayIntplm.
  • maine_way
    That makes a lot of sense then. OD is the same on most pipe so it fits.

The spec sheet I found on line indicates it is SCHED 40 pipe. When I chatted with a rep at Supplyhse they said it has no rating. Also, that site categorized DWV fittings in one category. Schedule 40 in another. And schedule 80 in another. I will follow up again with the vender. Below is copy-paste from manufacturer's spec sheet.

Product Type Material Type Trade Name Product Standard

Pipe§
    PVC 1120
    Spears®
    ASTM D2665
    1 1/4" - 16" Sch 40

§ Product is Certified to the Uniform Plumbing Code™. Installation in accordance with the
    manufacturer's instructions and the requirements of the latest edition of the Uniform
    Plumbing Code™.