Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sandblast radiators and...

Options
2»

Comments

• SteamHeat
    SteamHeat Member Posts: 159
    edited December 2020
    Options
    It would probably be wise to consult the paint's manufacturer to ask whether harmful chemical vapors will be emitted when their paint is heated to 215 degrees Fahrenheit over and over. Many household paints are not intended for that temperature and most engine paints are assumed to be under the hood, not in living space. I once had the "privilege" of being in a hallway that had a refurbished steam radiator freshly installed. The stink coming off of the hot painted iron was so noxious is felt like my nose, throat, and lungs were on fire. It took hours for the burning sensation to go away and days for the smell to leave my clothing.
  • scott w.
    scott w. Member Posts: 207
    Options
    In my 1928 home, was the reason the hot water pipes in the basement and the ceiling radiator in the basement garage painted SILVER to reduce the heat loss from the pipes? Both the large 4 inch supply and return lines are painted all through the basement and I think these pipes looks like they were painted in 1928. I recently gave them a second coat of silver to make them look a bit nicer. Was that a good thing to do?
    Dave in QCA
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,160
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Scott - Should be no problem.  Cant imagine tbe paint has a significant impact one way or the other re temperature loss.  I’m sure it looks good though!
  • Shalom
    Shalom Member Posts: 165
    edited January 2021
    Options
    If you're in Northern NJ, there's an auto body guy (specializes in old cars for movie sets) who has a sideline in radiator sandblasting. Check my post history.https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/editor/0e/drs2ypb6xoao.jpg
    djd