Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Uponor ProPex - bend support kink

Options
rossn
rossn Member Posts: 76
I'm installing my heating using Uponor HePEX, and there are some places I need to use bend support. I am noticing that when I install the PEX into the uponor 1/2" metal bend support, it is sometimes causing what I would call the start of a kink. It's probably in the upper 50's where I am installing, and I am making the bend slow. I am starting to use the heat gun for a slight warming.

Is there a trick to properly installing the bend support to prevent any such damage?

Comments

• rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    Just need to get it warmer. When you are making a bend in it, you only really need to put the heat to the outside of the tube, as this is the part that will need to be stretching a bit to make the bend. You can do all the way around the tube, but it just takes more time and is not needed.
    Rick
  • rossn
    rossn Member Posts: 76
    Options
    Thanks, Rick. That holds true even though the crease is starting to form on the inside of the bend? I guess it is the lack of stretch on the outside that causes the compression on the inside.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    That is how I visualize it anyway.
    In my thought process, if you don't heat the inside as much, it will help to hold its shape as you are bending it. I could be wrong though.
    Rick