Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vaporstat Adjustment

kredmore
kredmore Member Posts: 53
edited December 2020 in Strictly Steam
Hello -

I have been learning and maintaining my own residential steam system for 20+ years, and wanted to share my recent experience since I have noticed others in similar situations. I changed over 3 years ago from a Pressuretrol to Vaportstat to run my system at < 1psi with the appropriate pigtail, gauges, etc. Most of it learned here!

Recently, I noticed cut out was at 2.5 psi, then cut it was .5. Cleaned everything out, purchased a replacement low pressure gauge, same thing. So, was going to order a replacement Vaporstat (or go Dwyer, etc.) when I read about a "gold screw", and sure enough, when I took the Vaporstat out and bench tested it (very easy btw), there is a plugged hole in the back to adjust the gold screw, which allows adjustment to the lever for the switch contact. Plug came out, made the screw adjustment, and now I'm back to .5 psi cut out and .1 psi cut in, as desired. I have not found this info online or Honeywell instructions anywhere, hence the post.

Keith
tumbz

Comments

• What do you think changed to require the readjustment, from the new installation to the gold screw operation?—NBC
  • kredmore
    kredmore Member Posts: 53
    good question. Not really sure, and don't even have a good guess. I'm pretty sure it ran fine of the box to cut out at < 1psi three years ago, had some cleaning service done last year (doubt service person adjusted), debris in the lines, out of adjustment over time, etc. Not an expert on the exact pressure reading mechanism in the Vaporstat itself. Would welcome any theories from others.
  • tumbz
    tumbz Member Posts: 94
    kredmore said:

Hello -

I have been learning and maintaining my own residential steam system for 20+ years, and wanted to share my recent experience since I have noticed others in similar situations. I changed over 3 years ago from a Pressuretrol to Vaportstat to run my system at < 1psi with the appropriate pigtail, gauges, etc. Most of it learned here!

Recently, I noticed cut out was at 2.5 psi, then cut it was .5. Cleaned everything out, purchased a replacement low pressure gauge, same thing. So, was going to order a replacement Vaporstat (or go Dwyer, etc.) when I read about a "gold screw", and sure enough, when I took the Vaporstat out and bench tested it (very easy btw), there is a plugged hole in the back to adjust the gold screw, which allows adjustment to the lever for the switch contact. Plug came out, made the screw adjustment, and now I'm back to .5 psi cut out and .1 psi cut in, as desired. I have not found this info online or Honeywell instructions anywhere, hence the post.

Keith

underrated post. thank you.
    kredmore