Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Viessmann vitodens 200-w not working with newer control console

sunlight33
sunlight33 Member Posts: 378
Recently I replaced the control console board of vitodens 200-W WB2B (VBC 130-A03.100) with a newer version of the board (VBC 130-A06.101). After making the change the boiler could not start without ignition fault (code Eb), I tried manual calibration of the burner (addr 85) but got no luck at all, it was either sputtering like crazy or "quiet and normal" ignition then flame died after 5 seconds during the self calibration stage. Afterwards I switched the control board back to the old one, and everything worked fine again.

So all I did was unplug and replug the wires, making appropriate adjustments in code level 2 (such as switching from NG to LPG, etc.) so the addresses match on both boards. What could be the reason that made the newer board unhappy? Any Viess pro would like to chime in? Unless I miss something that wasn't specified in the manual.

Comments

• PerryHolzman
    PerryHolzman Member Posts: 234
    I'm not sure which generation you have.

The older Vitodens 200's (mine was installed 2006) originally had unique control boards for each model size.

Viessmann designed a replacement board that fit all Vitodens 200s of that generation that has a series of dip switches. You have to get the dip switch setting right for the size boiler (the original board did not have dip switches). The replacement control board comes with an instruction sheet showing the dip switch settings for each boiler size.

You might be looking at a similar situation. Does the new control board have dip switches on it that the old board did not have, and are the dip switches set correctly for your application?

If that does not work - you can download the appropriate manuals from Viessmann (do that first and work though the trouble shooting section).

2nd you can call Viessmann Technical Service and they can walk you through your specific equipment and how the new board should be set.

Its possible you got a bad new board (I did when I replaced my control board). Viessmann technical service can give you the information necessary to get a warranty replacement board though the supplier who supplied the board (assuming you purchased the parts recently through an approved supplier).

I had purchased my new control board from an approved supplier - and I had a 2nd replacement board in a few days (good thing it was spring and the house did not freeze).

I wish you well with this,

Perry
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Is there a coding plug? I thought there was on the 200B. 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • sunlight33
    edited December 2020
    I ordered a new coding plug to go with the new console, as they are usually replaced together.

I don't see any dip switches on the control console.
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    Where did you order from?
  • sunlight33
    Boston Heating Supply
  • psb75
    Thank you. I'm having helluva time sourcing Viessmann parts.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    You may want to contact the RI headquarters for technical support. Not so easy on Xmas weekend.
  • GW
    So, you did plug in the new plug? It’s been several years since I’ve replaced a 200b board, but I thought the plug gets snugged in on sight, not by the company that makes it or ships it never heard of a viessmann coding plug going bad but I guess anything is possible 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • psb75
    I am not the original poster but am having a similar problem with a Viessmann Vitodens 200-W WB2B 45 (2011) mod/con boiler. Its throwing a code saying to "replace coding card". Boiler will fire and do DHW casll but not space heating. Water circulating but the water temps are not matching what the 'curve' is asking for. 60 F water on a 32 F outside temp. Should be 129F temp.
    Now, as you said above I cannot contact V. tech support. OR Boston Heating supply just to ORDER a "plug/card" to be sent.
    Nice machine and engineering but....now its Xmas holiday and...no heat and to boot....its my MOTHER'S house.
  • GW
    edited December 2020
    Very odd PSB maybe pull the plug and re insert it, you might get lucky 

also- what happens when you do “Chimney mode”? Do it run high fire? That could also limp you along if you babysit the unit a bit 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • psb75
    Someone else just that to me. Thank you!
  • sunlight33
    GW said:

So, you did plug in the new plug? It’s been several years since I’ve replaced a 200b board, but I thought the plug gets snugged in on sight, not by the company that makes it or ships it never heard of a viessmann coding plug going bad but I guess anything is possible 

Yes, the control console came without any coding plug attached.
  • GW
    Ok so I’ll keep asking, did you jam the old plug back in the new control? 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • sunlight33
    You mean did I try the old plug in the new board? No I didn't.
  • GW
    Ok try it. 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • psb75
    I'm in Vermont, diagnosing a boiler in Michigan. Not sure if I can direct a brother to unplug and re-plug in a coding card on the boiler. Will let you know how it goes.
    This "coding card" business is unfamiliar to me. Is it a Viessmann thing? There is a different "Coding card" for higher altitude. I have not encountered this on other boilers.
  • sunlight33
    It's interesting that you mention it. I replaced the plug on the old board a month ago because the boiler was experiencing sputtering for months but could not find a clue. So a month ago I ordered a new coding plug, put it in and the sputtering went away for three weeks but it came back a week ago. LOL!!
    What I noticed after putting a new plug in was that the fan was not spinning as fast as it used to be, so I suspect the old plug was tricking the boiler into high altitude operation so the fan would blow the flame off upon ignition.
  • psb75
    Interesting that you mention "sputtering". That is what this boiler is doing!
  • GW
    Viessmann uses coding cards/plug to tell the control what exact boiler is being used. Some of these controls cover several different boiler sizes. In one case the control (not yours) covers an oil OR gas burner. 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • psb75
    Thank you that helps a lot. Knowing what I'm dealing with and what the part does.
    Now I have to work out: is it a bad part or bad contact etc.
    I'm 800 mi. away from the boiler. And no cards available till Monday.
  • sunlight33
    psb75 said:

Interesting that you mention "sputtering". That is what this boiler is doing!

I recorded mine a while ago, does yours sound like what's in the videos below?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSN9UppV0jo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYkA2vYX1MY
  • psb75
    I don't know. I'm not at the boiler. I will ask and forward your video. It was described to me as "sputtering." That description sounds accurate to your video. Thank you for providing that. Very helpful.
  • heathead
    heathead Member Posts: 234
    Sunlight33 have you had a tech out, and the boiler cleaned? It sounds like boiler needs cleaning and or the air flap might be broken/sticking or something that is stuck in fan. I thought the code EF is blocked fan, not bad board.
  • sunlight33
    Yes, I am getting a new fan installed after the new year.
  • sunlight33
    edited January 2021
    So I got the new fan installed last weekend, also changed ignition electrode and ionization electrode. It was fine for the first 100 cycles or so, ignition was smooth and quiet, as normal as a new boiler. Then gradually it started to get violent with sputtering happening again (sounded like delayed ignition), a few loud bangs before the flame stabilizes (like the previous videos I posted in this thread) . What might have gone wrong this time?

Edit: As of now, the fan, both electrodes, ignition transformer, coding card and gas valve are new. And the boiler is still experiencing sputtering.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Wow, that "sputtering" is not good. This boiler should make no noises and be smooth on ignition. You should be in touch with Viessmann tech services to nail the problem and follow up on any warranty issues.
    Was your heat exchanger part of the recall 2 years ago?
  • sunlight33

Was your heat exchanger part of the recall 2 years ago?

I have the WB2B, recall was for B2HB.
    My Viessmann contractor has been in contact with their tech support, so far what they provided has not been helpful.
  • GW
    Some of the stuff I do to really dive in: I'm not supposed to type in out for the world to see (even though it's temporary and for testing purposes only), but also probably need to open it up again and make sure nothing went askew, fan is normal, gas pressure good, Condensate is good/free . That sure would be odd if the computer went goofy though. Hopefully your guy can really dig at this
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • sunlight33
    GW said:

Some of the stuff I do to really dive in: I'm not supposed to type in out for the world to see (even though it's temporary and for testing purposes only), but also probably need to open it up again and make sure nothing went askew, fan is normal, gas pressure good, Condensate is good/free . That sure would be odd if the computer went goofy though. Hopefully your guy can really dig at this

You are about 3 hours from me, I wish I can invite you to come and solve this mystery, lol.
    If every time after changing some parts the boiler would act fine for a couple of days then go bad again, I would suspect something's not right with the electronic components. If the gas valve is bad, gas pressure is too high/low, or the heat exchanger is dirty, the boiler would not act that way because nothing else has changed. I even tried changing propane to another company, the first few days it was very normal, as quiet as it can be, then it got violent after only 4 or 5 days, in fact it was so bad it even threw the red fault light, unbelievable. Anyway, that's my thinking.
  • GW
    I’m less than thrilled to drive 30 minutes😀. 

sometimes we really get nailed with an odd issue. Hope your guy can keep at it. 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com