Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator capacity??

I have to replace this radiator. Can you help determine its capacity? It is a two pipe steam radiator with 25 sections. It is about 62”long, 9” deep, and 26” high. It has 1” supply and condensate connections. Any ideas on where I might find one identical to, or similar to, this one?

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,715
    Out of curiosity what’s wrong with that one?

Best bet is Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, or local yard sale groups.  Depending on where you live there are sometimes architectural salvage yards that have them.

@Erin Holohan Haskell has a link on the site to some salvage places that have some.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,684
    The size is measured in Equivalent Direct Radiation (EDR) which is the square feet of the surface area of the cast iron. If you don't have the original manufacturer's specifications, there are charts that can get you close.

According to this chart, you have a radiator that is approximately 93 to 94 EDR.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,684
    edited December 2020
    You could replace it with a slightly newer version that has smaller tubes that are taller, and much narrower... by using this chart.

Only 16 sections of a 38" tall radiator would fit next to the wall-mounted desk. The sections are thinner so the radiator would be about half the width of the old one.

Use the charts to select one that is close to the same EDR.

Oh yea... What @KC_Jones said... I'd also like to know what is wrong with the old one too.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Mflesher
    Mflesher Member Posts: 3
    This one is cracked. It is in the lobby of a 100+ year old Post Office. They want to maintain the architectural aesthetics of the lobby. This one sits under a window. It is the only short one in the building otherwise we would swap it and put a newer one in the back. 
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,271
    KC_Jones said:

@Erin Holohan Haskell has a link on the site to some salvage places that have some.

Here you go: https://heatinghelp.com/systems-help-center/where-to-find-used-radiators/
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • acwagner
    acwagner Member Posts: 505
    You can also try https://www.ecoradusa.com/.

They refurbish old radiators. You can email them and they should be able to tell you if they have the same type of radiator in their stock. I used them to replace a few for my home.

Although not as cheap as a salvage yard, they do have a warranty.
    Burnham IN5PVNI Boiler, Single Pipe with 290 EDR
    18 Ounce per Square Inch Gauge
    Time Delay Relay in Series with Thermostat
    Operating Pressure 0.3-0.5 Ounce per Square Inch

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,405
    Based on @EdTheHeaterMan charts you at about 70 edr if it's two column and 98 if it's 3 column. Can't see the end