Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Change Taco 007-F3 cartridge without removing entire pump?

Options
mrmass
mrmass Member Posts: 5
I have 3 Taco Circ pumps. Just noticed little to no heat on on of the floors. Furnace turns on, I have hot water, I think the one of the pumps is bad as the pipe out to the air handler isn't very hot. Just warm.

What I want to do is change the cartridge without removing the pump. It's a Taco 007-F3. Many videos online showing how to change the cartridge. All of them have the pump removed.

Comments

• mrmass
    Options
    It's the middle pump
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,587
    Options
    You can change it with the pump in place but you have to get the water out of the pump. If you don't have isolation valves you have to drain the entire system and then fill and vent system when you are done
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 529
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Before you start wrenching on anything, make sure the circulator is getting power (could be a bad relay). If there is power, listen and see if you can hear the circulator running. If it sounds like it is running, I would see if if that zone is air bound. Hopefully you either have bleeders on the baseboards or purge valves in the basement.

If you confirm there is power at the circulator and no air in the loop, go ahead and shut the power off, isolate the circulator, and remove the cartridge. You can swap the cartridge without removing the housing.

Hope you get the heat back on. Merry Christmas.
    mrmass
  • mrmass
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I know it's getting power-i turn off the heat to that zone. turn it on, the pump clicks and starts spinning.

For the water, Not sure where the bleeders are except on the air handler right next to the pumps I turn the coin valves a bit and make sure water comes out.

I after having the system off for 3hrs, I engaged the heat, and the water pipe to the air handler is hot again. The pump is making a rattling maybe clicking sound.

I'll monitor it. Luckily in MA the temps are mild. I'm hoping to hold out until after Jan 1. Most places are closed. I could get emergency service but I don't feel like its an emergency at this time.

I'll follow up in case any novices are interested. Thank you for the replies. Much appreciated.
    Merry Christmas! Stay safe
  • mrmass
    Options

You can change it with the pump in place but you have to get the water out of the pump. If you don't have isolation valves you have to drain the entire system and then fill and vent system when you are done

Yup have shutoff valves before and after the pump. Any idea how much water will come out if I do change the cartridge?
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 529
    Options
    A pint or less. You might find that the cartridge just has some debris in it and can be cleaned up and returned to service.

If you need to replace it and your local supply house is closed next week, you can probably get one online.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Taco-007-042RP-Taco-Pump-Replacement-Cartridge-TAC007-042RP-for-007CI-4116000-p

mrmass
  • mrmass
    Options
    Yup I bought a pump and a cartridge. Just in case.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,849
    Options
    Are you sure the noise is from the circulator and not the flow check above it? A rattling sound from the flow check would mean air in the loop and needs to be purged. 
    If it is a bad circulator, there are isolation valves. It's just as easy to replace the whole circulator. 
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Yup I bought a pump and a cartridge. Just in case.
    Smart.............I've never had much luck changing just the cartridge. It's a little more work changing both the motor and cartridge, but worth it.
    Be sure to change the o-ring in the volute as well.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    rick in Alaska