Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Manifold TRV ok on Supply side?

rossn
rossn Member Posts: 76
edited December 2020 in Radiant Heating
I am installing some Uponor stainless manifolds for radiant in my home, and the manifold of discussion will be on a danfoss inline TRV. I think I recall that it is standard convention to put the TRV on the return (versus supply) side. Given the space, threads, and flow directionality of the TRV, it would actually be better on the supply side. Of course, it stops the flow, either way. Is it wonky to put the TRV on the supply side?

Bonus question... these manifolds have some 1" stainless supply/return ball valves. the manifold (serving upstairs) is mounted relatively high. Any issues with mounting the handle for the valve on the bottom side (easier to reach)? I didn't know if there were any issues with sediment and gravity, etc.

Thanks!
Ross

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    TRV's install on the supply of radiators. Why would you put one on a radiant distribution manifold? The TRV head needs to sense the temperature of the radiator it's installed on.
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    You maybe mean a thermostatic "mixing" valve connected to the supply manifold--and is also connected to the return manifold.
    TRVs go on radiators.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,023
    TRV with a remote sensor bulb?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • rossn
    edited December 2020
    Yes, hot_rod is right. I have a few radiators, some towel warmers, and a lot of loops for radiant ceiling and floor. Some of the manifolds serve an entire zone with multiple loops, so the remote TRV goes on the supply or return for the manifold.

Now, back to the original two questions. Can anyone speak to these. I think I found in my notes that supply side is OK.
  • rossn
    Not really a balancing valve, rather system or emitter temperature regulation.
  • hot_rod
    I have a few on cast iron radiators in my shop, both S&R. As long as flow direction is correct.
    I know they chatter when flow is reversed :)

Let me check with Italy for a thumbs up.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod said:

I have a few on cast iron radiators in my shop, both S&R. As long as flow direction is correct.
    I know they chatter when flow is reversed :)

Let me check with Italy for a thumbs up.

Either supply or return. Ideally the thermostatic head should be horizontal to get good airflow and accurate ambient temperature readings.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • rossn
    thanks