Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot water recirculation pump question

TAG
TAG Member Posts: 755
Ended up doing a conventional copper distribution system in my new build (vs home run pex). Had a dedicated recirculation line installed from the far bathroom back to the indirect (insulated)

The plumbers told me they normally install one of those learning Grundfos pumps. Did the timed type with an on board temp sensor. But -- they really run too much. I'm not sure I want the smart pump as it's a vacation house.

A timed pump that works in the AM and early PM with some sort of button or motion sensor would be great. I don't see anything like that. I did one way back in the early 90's that was tied to the bath light .. that may still be the best way?

Any ideas ?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Time clock, occupancy sensor, a light sensor, motion sensor
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Gravity works for no cost.
    Have a few working that way.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    Check out check out the offering from AquaMotion, they have control options that you noted.
    Definitely  do not want flow, either pumped or gravity when the home is unoccupied.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • TAG
    edited December 2020
    Will give AM a call -- they seem to have mostly wireless options.

The light switch way worked reasonably well unless you went right for the sink ... I knew to turn it on even in the daylight. Not perfect ...

Motion sensor would be better ... maybe more back end runtime even with temp sensor.

Think I should run some 14/2 ... just in case . I don't want it running all the time. Even when we move to the property more full time .... it's only the two of us
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 550
    Here is one of the most user activated style system. It is activated by either a motion sensor(s), button activation or wireless remote. The run time is very short, typically from 15-45 seconds depending upon the rest of the system (length of circuit, type of water heater...)
    What type of water heater is being used? https://www.tacocomfort.com/product/taco-genie/

Dave H
    Dave H
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    I use a tork timer  on mine. It has 15 minute time blocks but that it a little too long. Gravity does seem to circulate the water too. I added a clip on aquastat but I need a lower one because some of the temp is lost thru transfer and it doesn't work.
  • TAG
    My other systems use/used the Laing pumps. They sell a timer as an option and make one with a thermostat that will turn the pump off when the return line is hot at the tank.

Have no experience with the adaptive -- I guess over time it could work. With no override -- it's still lacking.

The Taco unit is for under sink w/o dedicated return