Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator with high heels?

Options
2»

Comments

• Dennis Bellanti_2
    Dennis Bellanti_2 Member Posts: 36
    Options
    How about using an 1-1/2" valve with a 1-1/2 to 1-1/4 reducing bushing? That should put you very close. https://www.ferguson.com/product/proflo-1-12-in-steam-radiator-angle-valve-pf431j/_/R-2639493
  • 136lin
    136lin Member Posts: 30
    Options
    I am either missing something or I don't know what I am talking about, but why not remove the wood blocks, and both of the reducing couplings. Then obtain the proper size steam radiator valves to fit the existing nipple coming up through the floor, and install them on each radiator. If you use good quality valves they "should" fit with no issues. Legend makes such a valve and so does American Valve company. Buying new valves is cheaper in the long run than trying to work on the nipples in the floor or repipng under the floor or in the basement.

Over the years we replaced hundreds of steam radiator valves and never had to do anything like these high heels. The last thing that you want to do is mess with the nipple in the floor particularly on the second floor or above. I don't see any reason to use the reducing couplings especially since they appear to be the cause of the trouble. Most of the replacement valves were 11/4" some 1" and rarely 11/2". Don't change the size, but be prepared to chop the tailpiece out of the radiator and install the tailpiece that comes with the valve. If they still don't line up well then raise the radiator the 1/4" or 1/2", slide steel fender washers under the legs and then shim the far end to provide pitch for the return water. Do not use wood shims as they will compress or splint from the weight.
  • 136lin
    136lin Member Posts: 30
    Options
    I forgot to add to the above: If you can find them, you might use an eccentric coupling or bushing but remember to keeping the opening on the lowest point or else the rad will hold water.
  • Woody_S
    Woody_S Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Shouldn't that reducer be a eccentric reducer to keep condensate out of the bottom of the rad? Or 2- 45's?
    Steamfighter49
  • Steamfighter49
    Steamfighter49 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    I've had lots of fun playing with old rads. Your plumber lucked out replacing the nipple into the rad, they are usually 'welded' in with rust at that age. I'm with hot_rod. Don't push your luck with any more pipe changes. Don't try to remove bushings. Back when I was doing this I found replacement valves easily but not at the Depot. Buffalo still had steam supply houses, then. If that fails, go with Dennis' idea of the plank.