Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

BTU1500-OIL -COMBUSTION ANALYZER

426hemi
426hemi Member Posts: 79
If you have one or use one what do you think of it 
I like the printout feature but don’t know anyone who has one is it a POS or a quality tool?

Comments

• MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 507
    I can't answer your question directly, but my comment is about its usage. If you are a homeowner, then any electronic combustion tester won't make sense in my opinion. They're not just expensive to buy, they also need periodic sensor replacement and calibration ( also expensive). Worst, they need routine service whether they're used or not as the sensors have a short shelf life as well. As a homeowner, I would suggest it would be cheaper to have your burner tuned by a professional who has the right equipment and knows how to use it. I realize that that is something that is not always possible in some areas, but that's a different story.

Most pros I personally know use either a Testo or Bacharach analyzer. I haven't heard of the one you're looking at, but I would research it well to make sure it's well supported and has a short turn around time when it has to be shipped back for maintenance.

• 426hemi
    edited November 2020
    Thanks I should have explained that I am in the business and if would not make sense to buy a $1600 combustion analyzer to work on you own boiler good point about parts and service that’s why I am asking about it because it has a lot of nice features such as saving the results to the customer for future reference and printing out a report (people seem to like printed vs handwritten things) that the new Bacharach ones don’t I currently use a Fieldpiece meter and was impressed with what this btu 1500 does and was wondering if anyone is using them. But you may be right IT guys have saying “no one ever got fired for buying Intel”
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 507
    edited November 2020
    I know a guy who has a Bacharach Insight and it connects to an infrared printer he keeps in the kit for printouts. To be honest, I would rather have an outboard printer. If the printer fails, another printer could be shipped in much less time than shipping the failed analyzer back for repair, plus the analyzer is still useful even without a functioning printer.

It's also possible that any generic IrDA printer can be used with any outboard printer setup, although I'm not sure. If so, I'm sure a generic IrDA printer could be had for a lot less than the factory supplied one and probably be as good.

With regard to the Bacharach, my understanding is that the sensors are field replaceable and pre-calibrated (or something) so that a new sensor can be installed without the analyzer being sent back for service. Not 100% sure on that but if that was the case, I'd consider that a big plus when comparing analyzers.

In any case, there are a lot of sharp pros here (not me!) and I'm sure you'll get a more direct answer to your question soon.

And yes, knowledge is king!
  • captainco
    captainco Member Posts: 792
    I think the BTU01500 might be a little pricey, but it is probably a good unit.. However, I would look into its serviceability. Bacharach does have pre-calibrated CO sensors. O2 sensors calibrate themselves. O2 & CO sensors have a 2-year warranty. CO sensor normally last 5-8 years easily. You can buy your own test gas to check the accuracy of CO sensors.
    Bacharach has an app on their analyzers that allows you to download unlimited amount of readings on your phone or pad and creates a PDF file. Most homeowners don't have a clue what the combustion numbers mean and I don't like to give them printouts. Can be a liability thing.
    My first test on all analyzers is to drop them on the concrete floor to see if they break. You will drop them sooner or later. I have thrown my Bacharach many times in class at my students.
    MaxMercy426hemiSuperTechSTEVEusaPA
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    I've used the BTU-1500 at with a previous employer and was very happy with it. It does need to be sent out to get serviced. I'm saving to get my own because my current employer provides the Testo 310 and I'm not crazy about it. 
    426hemi
  • 426hemi
    HVACNUT said:
    I've used the BTU-1500 at with a previous employer and was very happy with it. It does need to be sent out to get serviced. I'm saving to get my own because my current employer provides the Testo 310 and I'm not crazy about it. 
    How long did you have it for? 
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    The Testo 300LL can save customer information,  email it and print it.  5year warranty and long life sensors as well.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I have the Insight, works great, 3 years+ now. I had original Testo, then UEI 155, which I use as a backup.
    The Insight has an app where you can email the combustion report, but I use the QR code, which I can scan with my iPhone and put the combustion results right into my database.
    I always leave a printout on site.
    steve
    SuperTech
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    426hemi said:
    HVACNUT said:
    How long did you have it for? 
    The E Instruments I used about 6 years. Before that it was Wohler. I don't remember the model but that was nice too.
    This Testo has a weak magnet, short, stiff hoses, you can't see everything on one screen, the display goes out of focus if you're not staring straight at it. And everything has to fit just right in the case or it won't close. Maybe Santa will bring me a BTU-1500. But The Mrs. was talking about upgrading our 20 year old Weber, so that puts me in quite the conundrum.