Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One thing leads to another..

Options
So I noticed some corrosion on top of my natural gas water heater that's been getting worse over the last several months. I thought about it for a minute or two and decided to just go ahead and replace that 15 year old heater. I called last week and told them it wasn't an emergency, but I'd like it done before Christmas, so they put me down for December 16th. Well, this morning, I go downstairs and there's a nice big puddle of water on the floor, and I'm thinking about how I can't believe the timing of that. Well, I'm guessing that it's less than a cup of water out a 40 gallon tank, so maybe it will last me the 3 weeks - or maybe not - so I'm worried that I might be required to take a few cold showers between now and then. Is there something I can do to help improve my chances of making through, like turning off the incoming during the day or something of that nature? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    As long as it just dribbles off to your floor drain, it can weep quite a while...usually.
    But if it rains down on the burner and puts the pilot out then cold showers.
    subaru400
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,953
    Options
    What @JUGHNE said.
    You should be fine for the next few weeks. Just keep looking in on it.
    Also, give the installation company a call and let them know that it's getting worse. They might be able to schedule you sooner.
    subaru400
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    I would shut the incoming cold water off when you sleeping and when someone isn't home to keep an eye on it.

Ask me how I know.

I woke up one night to go to the bathroom and herd something, I figured it was raining out. So I tottered over to the front door and flipped on the light. Even with no glasses on I could see it was as dry as a bone out.

At the bottom of the cellar stairs I got sprayed with water in the face from the water heater was 15' away.

As @JUGHNE mentioned, they usually just weep when they are starting to go....................usually
    mattmia2SuperTechsubaru400
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,294
    Options
    Hi, I’ve had clients go for months by shutting off the water and opening a tap, so pressure can’t build. I’d still see if it can be replaced sooner than later. ;)

Yours, Larry
    subaru400
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,164
    Options
    I had a similar situation as @EBEBRATT-Ed. My electric water heater was starting to show a little rust on the bottom of it, but since it was this time of year I decided to put off spending his money on a replacement because of the holidays.  Well, sure enough I woke up one night and heard my well pump running continuously.....I opened up the door to the basement and found about 6" of water flooding the place.  The cheap electric water heater split open like a tin can that someone dropped an M80 into. 

Moral of the story, don't hesitate to perform repairs that could lead to a disaster if you procrastinate like I did. 
    subaru400
  • subaru400
    subaru400 Member Posts: 33
    Options

I would shut the incoming cold water off when you sleeping and when someone isn't home to keep an eye on it.

I'll give that a shot. As long as the valve doesn't snap off in my hand, that should buy me the time I need. Thanks!