Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New boiler - Weil McLain wgo 3 vs Energy Kinetics 2000 EK1

HabsFan
HabsFan Member Posts: 7
edited November 2020 in Oil Heating
I had some work done on my current boiler and was told it really needs to be replaced which I knew was coming. They gave me two options a Weil McLain WGO-3 with an indirect fired water heater and an Energy Kinetics 2000 EK1 with a hot water storage tank.

Does anyone have any opinions (good or bad) on either? They are very close (given the full amount quoted) in price with only $ separating the two so that really won't be a driving factor.

If location matters for service, parts or performance I am in New Hampshire and in a split level house. Finished basement and boiler downstairs and all the other rooms upstairs. 3 bedrooms, 1.5 bathrooms. Currently have a much older Weil McLain with tankless water heater. 

This is my first quote and I'll probably get another (or two) at least given the cost so I can make the best decision. 

Comments

• Dave T_2
    Dave T_2 Member Posts: 64
    EK1 is a superior system in every way.
    SuperTechrick in Alaska
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited November 2020
    Easier to do maintenance on the EK. Weil Mclain is a pin type cast iron boiler that comes with the boiler will most likely get stuck between the sections on a regular basis during maintenance. I have experienced this aggravating exercise my entire professional career. Not a fan!

BTW the EK will use less fuel than the W-M when installed properly. Any moron Contractor can purchase W-M but EK sells to contractors who have gone to their classes and are well versed on the product.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    SuperTechSTEVEusaPA
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,137
    edited November 2020
    Don't hesitate to get the EK. The extra $ is worth the future fuel savings. In my opinion the EK is as good as it gets for oil fired boilers. 
    STEVEusaPA
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    Energy Kinetics all the way. As others have mentioned Energy Kinetics is. Far superior of the product then Weil Mclain.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    STEVEusaPASuperTech
  • BDR529
    BDR529 Member Posts: 281
    Weil-McLain or look at a Peerless. Cast iron, off the self controls.

As we approach another possible shut-down (Covid)
    It is cheap and easy insurance you will have heat. The Cost of domestic cast has went through the roof. Can't beat it for durability.

Not saying the EK is bad but the lock downs make me think of these issues.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    They are both good boilers. The Weil Mclain is a run of the mill boiler, the EK gives you more bang for the buck if the numbers are close.

Almost anyone can work on a Weil Mclain...correctly?? is another question. If you installer likes EK and can service it (I am sure he can if he's quoting it) then I would go with the EK

His quote looks complete except for one thing. He should do a heat loss of your home
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    "His quote looks complete except for one thing. He should do a heat loss of your home "
    Why? The boiler only fires at one rate, and I would almost bet my van that even that is still way too much for the heat loss.
    Honestly, the only time I do a heat loss is if I am putting in a new system and need to know the size of the baseboards. No point in wasting time on a heat loss if the boiler is obviously oversized.
    Now saying that, around here almost all houses are super energy rated, and rarely go over about 45,000 btu's, so it does make a difference where you are, or if your house has insulation.
    Rick
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    The WGO isn't a bad boiler, it's that the whole EK package just puts it in another category. It's an apples and oranges comparison IMO.
    SuperTech
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,137
    I agree. The WGO and the Peerless WBV are both great boilers, but the EK is superior in every way. The WGO and WBV are great basic boiler options,  the EK is the high end option.  The only thing that I compare them with is the three pass boilers, but I still like the EK the best. 
    stevetnj
  • 426hemi
    426hemi Member Posts: 79
    "His quote looks complete except for one thing. He should do a heat loss of your home " Why? The boiler only fires at one rate, and I would almost bet my van that even that is still way too much for the heat loss. Honestly, the only time I do a heat loss is if I am putting in a new system and need to know the size of the baseboards. No point in wasting time on a heat loss if the boiler is obviously oversized. Now saying that, around here almost all houses are super energy rated, and rarely go over about 45,000 btu's, so it does make a difference where you are, or if your house has insulation. Rick
    In New England most houses were built in the 1940s or earlier some are well over 100 years old! I wouldn’t want to live in a house that doesn’t breath not very pleasant. Interesting to learn this about Alaska.