Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Swing check valve alternative

Working on my system and ended up returning the conventional swing check valves. I need a spring model so I can install vertically. Found these at local big box store in the well section.

Any reason these won't work?

Looking to prevent back flow when other circulators are on.

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/pumps-tanks/pump-well-tank-accessories/water-source-3-4-brass-check-valve/cv-75/p-1444446043751.htm

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    It would be best to find a hydronic specific check.

A couple differences, the hydronic checks will have a low "pop" pressure, typically .35-.50 psi. so a small circulator can open, and hold them 100% open, easily.

You would need to find a manufacturer of that check and see what the spec is. I suspect a well pump check will have a spring that may be too stiff for reliable hydronic work?

Also the intended flow needs to be able to hold the check fully open. This becomes more of an issue with variable speed circulators. If check is oversized, based on Cv, it may not open completely. This could cause a rattle, and a flow restriction.

The best checks for hydronics look like the checks you see in most circulators these days, smooth conical seat, low spring pressure, "bubble free" tight close off.

Many of the hydronic component manufacturers offer checks for that specific use. I know Caleffi does :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • schultzey11
    schultzey11 Member Posts: 31
    Does the spring loaded check valve packaged with the circulator accomplish the same thing or do I really need the one in the circulator and another one downstream?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    the one the one that comes with the circulator is adequate on the supply side.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream